12.

12. Kalf

Freya

"Thank you once more. I can't wait to see the pictures." A young woman said to me smiling while I was packing my stuff to my car. I smiled to her.
"Thank you. I'll edit the photos as soon as I can, I send you the raw versions to email and you can pick the best ones." I closed the boot. She smiled happily and quickly glanced behind her shoulder, to make sure that two of her children went to the car safely. Her husband was already waiting at the car.
We had a photoshoot near a lake, family potraits. The weather was with us, sun was shining. It was supposed to rain, but it turned out pretty day. Luckily.
We said goodbyes and she went to their car while I took a seat of mine.

I turned the car on and looked at the clock, almost 1pm. I have nothing else to do today, so I decided to go to the nearest cafe at the studio and take a coffee with me. After that I planned to go home and just do nothing. Maybe relax on the shower and after that watch netflix until I go to sleep. What a great night.

I opened the front door of the cafe, and an old lady was behind the counter, writing something down. Her name is Loviisa, and she's the owner of the best cafe in this country. She's so sweet, friendly and also very curious. But she can keep secrets.
I stepped in and a fresh scent of coffee filled my lungs. I started smiling when I saw Loviisa. There was a few people sitting here and there.
"Freya! What a wonderful day to see you again. I just made new coffee, I guess you take some?" She immediately smiled her sweet smile and started to pour me some, even though I didn't get to say anything. But she knows me very well.
"Yes, thank you." I said as I reached the counter, taking my wallet out from my jeans pocket.

"Don't forget to invite me to your weddings, I can come to reserve coffee." She suddenly said, out of nowhere. Her words made me chuckle amused.
"Loviisa.. I won't forget. But I don't even have a man to fill the shoes of a husband." I took the warm mug when she landed it on the counter. Apparently she wanted me to stay here and not to take it with me. I don't complain. She smiled.
"Oh, I saw you leaving the studio with a man three days ago when I was closing this place." She leaned against the counter with her hands, she had amazing grey and long hair. I don't know what she has done for her entire life, but she looks amazing as her age. Younger than you could believe.
Her advice to life is, "Don't smoke or drink. And don't have a man who doesn't tell you every day how beautiful you are."
I think she has a point.

I bit my lower lip as she said that. She saw how I reacted. I tried to hide my blush.
"He was a handsome man, Freya. When I was young, I always dreamt of a long haired man who would look like a prince." She smirked, I did too and payed my coffee as I took a sip of it.
"But.. then I met my husband when I was twenty-three. He was bold and wrote poems. A daydreamer, but he made me fall in love with him. He was so funny, and told me every day how beautiful I am. He made me the happiest ever. We moved away from the countryside, and bought a house. Had three kids and here I am, still carrying on with this business." She told me as I listened there, I always love to listen older people's stories.
"Ten years ago he died." She continued. It made me look at her worried. She has never told me that, even though I've been visiting this cafe every week for five years.

"How did you survive..?" I asked, she smiled lightly and looked around.
"I had to. I had no other choice. But I didn't let the misery take over. He wanted me to live my life, so I did and still do. So, if you meet anyone who would possibly wear those husband's shoes, don't waste your time." She winked and then started to reserve an other customer that came in. So I moved away from the counter and took a seat next to the window. I looked towards the photography studio.
Loviisa's words hit me hard, it made me think of life. Why would I spend my years and life only to work? Why I wouldn't just enjoy a bit and have fun. Instead of that I'm wasting my time to my flirty boss, some stupid parties I'm not into and to my friends who are nothing to me anymore.