Theater Mechanicus (LR: Day One)

A gust of cool air wakes me, causing me to shiver. I groggily rub my eyes before fully waking up, seeing how messy my bed is and how the blankets are sprawled everywhere but on me.

I hear a chuckle escape my best friend. Turning my head, I glare at him. His back is against his pillow as a book is held in his hand. As he turns a page, he cockily says, "I didn't know I was traveling around with a wild animal."

"Good morning to you too, Xiao," I grumble, swinging my legs over the side of the bed. I scratch my side, then question, "Why is the window open?"

"Why is your hair a literal nest?" he retorts playfully.

I gasp, immediately bringing my hands to my bedhead. "You mustn't look!"

"Don't worry, your weird sleeping habits are safe with me," he says, trying his hardest to wipe the amusing smile plastered on his face, but to no avail. "But I'd go get ready if I were you."

"Hm? Why?" I ask.

He shakes his head and sighs. "Today is the first day..."

I look at him, still confused.

"Of the Lantern Rite."

"OH SHIT!" I exclaim.

"Come on, Y/n," he rolls his eyes. "Get with the program."

I leap out of bed and grab my usual outfit, then bolt to the bathroom. Swiftly, I get dressed and tidy up my hair before leaving the bathroom in a hurry.

Xiao's eyes narrow on me as he purses his lips. "What are we doing first?"

I glance at the clock. It's exactly eleven.

"Well, uh..." I scratch the back of my neck, my eyes following Xiao's figure as he slides off the bed and begins to attach his accessories on. Then my stomach rumbles. "Oh...we haven't ate dinner last night. I'm sorry. Are you hungry?"

"Mm...I don't get hungry often. But I worry for your own mortal state. How long can you go without food?" He questions, eyes lingering over me.

My hand goes to my hip as I give Xiao a sheepish smile. "My eating habits are all over the place. Let's get some lunch before heading out, yeah?"

Xiao shrugs. "Whatever you want. I am following your circus, after all."

I roll my eyes and fetch my bag. "Oh, wow."

Xiao and I head to the small dining area where there are very few people eating. We take a seat at a table for two people in the corner of the room. After a few minutes, a waitress comes along and sets down two menus, but I tell her what Xiao and I want right away. With a kind smile, she nods and leaves.

"I think we should go play games today." I suggest with a cheeky grin.

Xiao raises an eyebrow. "More games? They better not involve questions."

I let out a laugh before shaking my head. "No, no. We should go play a game called Theater Mechanicus. Ever heard of it?"

"Tch. Indeed I have." he scoffs.

"Oh," I wince at the face Xiao makes, visibly seeing he's not quite ecstatic about the idea. "Is it hard these days? The last time I played was years ago, when there was barely any rules because of its first concept."

"It could be if you don't understand the rules, or perhaps mess up, but the rewards you get for winning might persuade the players to put effort into playing." Xiao says, letting a soft sigh escape his lips. "But understanding you, I know you're going to try no matter what."

A smug grin spreads across my face. "What are the rewards?"

"Mora, of course. What else would there be?"