PROLOGUE • Bound by Blood

PROLOGUE

"I thought I could trust you," the other man holding the gun rasped.

"Shoot me," he said, voice flat, devoid of emotion. A manic grin stretched across his face as he continued, "Just... shoot me!" though his eyes reflected emptiness.

The gunman, hand trembling with a mixture of fear and guilt, lowered the weapon slightly, "You know I can't!" the words barely audible above the sobs.

"Why?" he asked, his voice a mocking whisper. "Can you please just shoot me?" his laughter, a hollow, echoing sound, filled the space between them. "There's nothing left, you took everything from me!"

"I treat you like a brother, more than my own blood!" the gunman cried, tears streaming down his face. "I love you! Why can't you see it?" he struggled to articulate his pain, "You're that important to me! That's why… that's why it hurts." his words choked by the torrent of emotions that threatened to overwhelm him.

"It hurts? Really?" he scoffed, voice dripping with bitterness. "Only if I knew what you all did to me! Now you're telling me I'm important? You think I'm naive?" he slowly raised his hand, gun still clasped, and waved it as if to say that he was giving up on the nonsense he was receiving.

He turned his back, "If you don't shoot me, it's your choice." he said over his shoulder.

A twisted smile played on his lips as he walked away. He wasn't the same man anymore, his soul twisted and broken by the betrayal he had endured.