|| Byers residence. Monday September 14th 1986. 8:36pm ||

Will's pov.
They were doing it again, fighting. Will should've been used to it at this point but it was still scary to hear the shouts. Well the shouts were ok, he knew his mom was still okay, it was the silence that scared him, the silence that made him and Jonathan come to see what was going on.

The earplugs weren't enough for this fight, it was too loud. He opened his door quietly and snuck down the hall to Jonathan's room.

He knocked and Jonathan opened it and let him in. "Pretty bad tonight" Jonathan grimaced, he nodded "wanna stay in here tonight?"  "Yeah" Will said while climbing into the bed. Boys don't cry.

He was glad he had Jonathan, he didn't know what he'd do without him. That's why he was terrified for a couple months when Jonathan went off to college, he'd agreed to go to the local one in case Will needed him, which Will was appreciative of but he knew it wasn't what he wanted, Jonathan wanted to go to NYU, he'd been saying it since he was a child.

In the morning Jonathan shook him awake, "hey, I overslept. You've gotta get to the bus in 15 minutes"  "shoot" Will groaned, he sat up and ran to his room to get ready.

Somehow he made it with 5 minutes till the bus would arrive. He sat down on the sidewalk and scratched at it with a rock. "Hey Will!" Will jumped as Mike sat beside him "sorry I didn't mean to scare you" Mike said "no it's okay. Hi Mike" Will smiled, "how'd you sleep?" Mike asked, he hesitated on how to answer this and decided to lie, "alright, still adjusting to the new house you know" he shrugged "you?" Mike looked just as hesitant as Will had been, "that's more of a loaded question then it should be" he chuckled, "okay though, not awful" he shrugged "relatable" Will nodded.

Later at school Will walked down the hallway keeping an eye out for Blaine or Troy, he saw neither so took it as a good time to open his locker and grab his things, it happend to be exactly the wrong time though. "Hey queer!" Troy said while grabbing Will by the collar and slamming him into the next locker, "Troy leave me alone" Will said quietly "what was that?"  "I said leave me alone!" Will said quite loudly this time, "listen here queer. Stop telling me what to do and maybe I'll let you live k?" Troy whispered, bringing his face right up to Will's, Will glared back but did nothing. The bell rang and Troy let him go, giving him one swift punch to the arm before leaving.

And as the day wore on Troy seemed to catch Will everywhere, in the halls between classes, at lunch, in the bathroom. By the end of the day Will wanted to cry but he didn't. boys don't cry. He reminded himself.

"Hey Will!" Mike said while sitting down next to him on the bus, "hey you ok?" Mike asked, suddenly sounding concerned, he must've noticed that he had more bruises, or maybe he noticed the bleeding elbow from when Troy slammed him into the bathroom wall, which happened to have a chipped tile. "I don't know.." Will shrugged "rough day with Troy, it's like he learned my schedule or something" he grimaced "I'm sorry, I wish I could've been there to help. It looks pretty bad" he said, looking at the cut on Will's elbow.

"Uh- anyway" Mike said, realizing he'd been holding Will's arm for a full 30 seconds, "wanna go to the arcade today? I was supposed to go with Lucas but he decided to go on a date instead" he asked "yeah sure!"  "Okay we have to get off at the next stop."

And so 10 minutes later Mike and Will entered the loud arcade. "Where do you wanna go first?" Mike asked, his eyes alight with excitement "do you like pac man?" Will grinned, "uhm do I?? I've got
One of the highest scores"  "bet I could beat it"  "I'd love to see you try" they both started laughing and ran to the machine.

"Come on faster... faster!" Will yelled as his pac man nearly got eaten by a ghost, "YES OH MY GOD! I beat your score" Will said letting his pac man get eaten to face Mike "NO WAY?? HOW? Move over" Mike shook his head.

By the time they were tired of the arcade it was almost 3 hours later, "I'm kinda hungry and I've got some cash left, you wanna grab some food?" Mike asked, holding up a couple bills, "sure!" Will agreed. This was the most fun he'd had in a long time, even with his friends back in Madison they usually just sat around doing art together, this was something way better.

They sat down in a place called Bennys, "I bet I could get us a discount, I'm friends with Benny. Well that's a stretch, El is friends with Benny but I've spoken to him a lot. I guess I could call him a friend. I mean it's not like him and Els bond, I mean they hug each other and stuff an-" Mike stopped "sorry I'm rambling. I'll stop" he said looking down at his fidgeting hands, "no it's okay. I'm way more of a listener than a talker go ahead" Will insisted, Mike stared at him in shock then he started smiling and his cheeks turned a bit pink, he bit his lip as he tried to control the smile. "You ok?" Will laughed "yeah it's just- I've never talked to someone who is okay with my ramblings, most of them start ignoring me or tell me to stop or shut up or something. Dustin and Lucas are a bit better about it I guess, I mean they've had to put up with it for over 6 years so you know they're used to it, I can tell they get annoyed sometimes though..." Mike shrugged, Will smiled, "feel free to ramble to me any time you want." They smiled at each other

This was the start, the start to a long lasting bond, Will could tell. Mike was the type of person that wasn't easy to lose and Will was glad of that as it was very easy for him to lose the people he liked most.

Tommy for example. Tommy had been Will's first best friend and also his gay awakening, he'd always wondered why when Tommy came around he started to get nervous about how he acted and how he looked, he'd wondered why he didn't want a girlfriend like all of his friends did but instead wanted a close bond with a boy. He'd ruined it all one day by telling Tommy, not about his feelings for him, but about him being queer. Tommy immediately stopped talking to Will and became the first person to bully him.

"Will, Will?" Mike asked waving his hand in Wills face "hm? Sorry! I zoned out" he said "what were you thinking about?" Mike asked "oh, uh... nothing" Will hesitated, he could tell Mike didn't Believe him but was glad he let it go, he didn't feel like ruining this friendship before it even really began.

                      —————————————-

Next chapter abt to be real intense y'all, strap in.

Anyways hope you enjoyed some happy byler moments