Twenty Six.

Bright sunlight filters through the branches of the persimmon trees around me as they sway slightly in the warm breeze. The shadows of the leaves and freshly sprouting fruit dance across my face as I sit dazedly in the small grassy spot in the back garden of Katie's aunt's house.

A million thoughts and emotions swarmed through my mind assaulting my subconscious. This had been a completely overwhelming month to say the least, and ever since my sister's arrival I hadn't had the mental capacity to do much except sleep or sit here in the garden.

My friends were worried about me. I knew that. But I could barely manage one word responses to thier questions without feeling myself start to cry or wanting to scream.

Brynlea was otherwise occupied with breaking Jack's sire bond somewhere nearby. I could hear the echoing of his screams throughout the night sometimes. Her way was much different than Tyler's and definitely more painful since Jack hadn't made the conscious decision to shift on his own yet. So, it was being done by force. A necessary evil.

When Danny had pulled me aside and told me where the fourth heartbeat was coming from, I didn't believe him. I still didn't fully want to and until I had concrete proof, I don't think I would. I didn't even want to think about it, let alone say it out loud. But, it was like it had planted a neon sign inside my head and it was the only thing I could think about.

There had to be some mistake. Vampires and hybrid's couldn't impregnate humans or even other supernatural beings. It was absolutely impossible. Like saying a dead body got someone pregnant. It's more likely that I just grew a second heart.

I desperately wanted to talk to Tyler, but he hadn't called again. And I couldn't figure out how to use the Luna bond connection again. If that was a legitimate thing either.

"Devon! It's time to go. We're going to be late." Katie's voice called from somewhere behind me.

With a heavy sigh, I rose to my feet and headed towards the house. Prom was tonight and I had made a promise to Damon and my friends that I wouldn't miss it. No matter how much I didn't feel up to going, I wasn't breaking that promise. Caroline would most likely kill me herself if I missed 'the biggest social event of our high school lives'. Her words not mine.

Caroline had been leaving me multiple messages a day and a constant stream of angry and very irritating voicemails lately. Why she cared so much about me all of a sudden was beyond me. But, it was driving me mad.

Without a word, Katie guided me through the house and to my truck, helping me into the passenger seat like I was an invalid. The whole while babbling excitedly about prom and being back home.

Technically Katie was still a junior and wouldn't have been invited to the senior prom, but I was bringing her as my date because I didn't want to show up alone. Besides, from what I heard in Caroline's voicemails, Elena was still without her humanity and everyone was busy keeping her in line.

Bonnie on the other hand had almost single-handedly killed a bunch of people in some crazy expression triangle, whatever that meant. But apparently the whole time she didn't have any clue what she was doing. Caroline had said she was back to normal now though and was against completing the spell to collapse the other side and bringing back everyone who had died a supernatural death now that she was normal again.

Apparently Mystic Falls was still a crazy mess. No surprise there.

The truck was already packed with our overnight bags and prom dresses. I wish I could be as excited as Katie about going back home, even temporarily. But, my appointment with Dr. Fell at the hospital was pushed to the forefront of my mind and I couldn't think about anything else.