Six.

It had been a long couple of days. My paranoia over Klaus was eating me alive. I didn't leave unless it was for school or to meet Katie at her house or the grill. Damon kept me somewhat updated on what was going on with the big bad hybrid. I never wanted details, just basics of whether he was distracted enough for me to not be on his radar.

Katie was dealing with everything as good as could be expected. We had a long chat about everything. I was glad she knew about things now so she could at least be able to protect herself. Elena had given me a special locket filled with vervain to give to Katie so she couldn't be compelled. She had been so relieved that there was something she could do about it. She had calmed down a lot more after I told her that Klaus and his hybrids had to be invited in so they couldn't torment her in her own home.

I was nervous about her pretty much living alone when her dad was out of town, so I was planning on staying the night with her when her dad left again.

Jack was awol. He was back to ignoring me for his new life as a hybrid minion. He had chosen his side in all this and it really broke my heart. Ollie had really driven it home when I ran into him at the grill. He pulled me away from any listening ears into the dry storage closet. He seemed terrified to say the least. Since he was compelled, there wasn't much he could tell me but I did find out that Jack wasn't sired like Tyler. Klaus had compelled him to do his bidding. It made a lot of sense.

As for Tyler, something had changed in him that night. He started to call and text me again all the time. There hadn't been an hour that passed before he'd check on me. Part of me knew that I was playing with fire, but I was like a moth. I was drawn to him and I couldn't help it anymore. Klaus had only succeeded in breaking down a wall between us.

Driving alone in the midnight darkness, my leg was twitching with nervous energy. My stomach was filled with a swarm of butterflies. I was on my way to meet Tyler out at the old Lockwood cellar.

It had been my idea to meet somewhere private for many reasons. Caroline and Klaus being the biggest two. I knew Caroline and Tyler were on the verge of breaking up but I also knew nothing was ever going to happen as long as Klaus was still around.

My love for Tyler wasn't really a secret, especially after my performance at the homecoming party. Anyone who knew me, knew who that song was about. Hell, anyone who knew Tyler did, too.

But, here I was sneaking around just to talk to him. I felt ridiculous and stupid. Then again, I was excited and happy, too.

I pulled off the road at the back edge of the Lockwood property. Slowly, I drove down the old dirt trail and parked the truck once I was far enough away from the road.

Climbing out, I glanced around in the quiet night. Satisfied that no one could spot my truck, I started walking off in the direction of the cellar.

Trees closed in around me and the waxing crescent moon reminds me of the impending full moon. My bones could feel the pull and seemed to ache at the thought.

Finally, I reached the hidden stairs. Crickets were the only sound I heard near me. But, I could smell Tyler below me inside the cellar.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep reassuring breath before heading down. My heart was pounding in my chest.

"Devon?"

"You really couldn't tell it was me?" I reply humorously as I walk through the open door.

His muscular form appears silhouetted by the dim lantern light he holds in his hand.

"Yeah. Just..." He shrugs and the ghost of a smile appears on his stunning face.