One.

Mystic Falls, Virginia. A picturesque town founded in 1860 with a current population of 6,923 citizens. Mystic Falls has a dark history and many secrets. Much of its roots are steeped in mysticism and supernatural beings.

I, Devon Bailey Bradford-Devine, was one of those supernatural beings and Mystic Falls was the only place I had ever called home.

Accidentally killing my foster mom in a car wreck had activated my werewolf curse. But, I had known the truth about vampires and werewolves before that.

I had spent the summer traveling through Canada trying to find my birth parents only to learn that they had been dead almost as long as I'd been alive. My road trip into the unknown had also been a ruse for my safety from an evil hybrid named Klaus Mikaelson. He most likely would have killed me if I had been in town while he was breaking the sun and moon curse placed on all vampires and werewolves. I knew now thanks to Damon's numerous calls over the last couple of months that the supposed curse was actually a curse on Klaus himself, to suppress his werewolf side.

Since my ex boyfriend Tyler Lockwood who had been the only other werewolf in town had left not only me but Mystic Falls as well, that would make me the only one. And, since Klaus had needed to sacrifice a werewolf to break his curse my friends had urged me to leave.

I had been gone all summer and was finally returning with a few new friends by my side.

Jack Clifton, or J to me, was driving my truck down the road. We had just passed the Welcome to Mystic Falls sign on the edge of town. His two best friends and bandmates, Danny and Ollie, were in the dark panel van behind us.

"Are you nervous?" J asked me with his signature lopsided grin on his handsome face.

"Hell no!" I reply and sweep my long blonde hair out of my face.

There was no explanation for Jack and I's relationship. He had become one of my best friends in the short time I had known him. But, he was also the second person I had ever slept with. Neither one of us wanted anything more than that from the other. We were both still in love with other people, so the strange situation worked for us.

He had been helping me to realize and learn all my new abilities since he had been a werewolf much longer than I had. Training with him was always a fun experience.

As we neared town I picked up my phone to call Damon Salvatore, my guardian and close friend. The call went straight to his voicemail.

I shrugged and set my phone back on the console.

"No answer from Daddy Vamp?" Jack asked me humorously.

Scowling, I smack his arm. "Don't call him that, J. It's gross."

He laughs loudly and replies, "So, where to?"

I give him directions to the Salvatore Boarding House where Damon, his brother Stefan and I live. Well, Stefan wouldn't be there. As far as I knew he was off gallivanting with Klaus in exchange for Damon's life.

Once we pulled into the long driveway I asked Danny and Ollie to stay outside since Damon only knew that I was bringing Jack home. I had decided to break the news that I had brought two humans with us to him later.

The door was unlocked as always, so we had walked right inside the huge, quiet house.

"Bloody hell, Dev! You didn't tell me you lived in a mansion." Jack gaped at the huge sitting room before us.

I shrugged. "Didn't seem important. It's been in the Salvatore family for years. I only live here because Damon allows me to. I was supposed to live with Tyler and his mom, but screw that."