Nine.

After returning from a long and otherwise boring few days in Richmond, I walked into the front door of the boarding house. I dragged my stuff up the stairs and towards my room.

"Devon? Is that you?" Damon's voice called down the hall from his room.

"Oh, please. Like you didn't hear me pull in the driveway." I say sarcastically.

"Get in here."

Groaning, I dump my things on the floor and head towards his bedroom.

"What? I really just want some alone time. Do you know what it's like being on a bus with thirty teenage humans who all smell like b.o.?" I walk in his room and notice him standing by the fireplace with Alaric, who smiles at me.

"Hey, Devon. How was the invitational?" Alaric asks.

I shrug. "We made it into the semifinals."

"Yeah, yeah, congratulations. Here." Damon tosses something at me.

I catch it easily and I look at it. "Awesome. Is this for when Caroline royally pisses me off?"

Alaric laughs.

"Funny. But, white oak would be a waste on blondie." Damon retorts.

My jaw drops. "Wait. Really? How'd you get this?"

"That's not important. How far did wolf boy number two get training you?"

"I know how to take down a vamp. Want me to show you?" I grin.

"I don't think that's necessary." Alaric laughs.

"Just keep it close and out of sight." Damon turns and starts to hide another steak.

I shrug and tuck mine in the waistband of my ripped blue jeans for now. Then I pull my metallica tshirt over it.

"Didn't you learn anything from the moonstone in the soap dish?" Alaric asks.

"Why? Where'd you put yours?" Damon replies.

Before he can answer, there's a loud noise somewhere downstairs. The three of us turn to look.

"What the hell was that?" Damon stands up.

We walk out into the hallway and Damon holds an arm out and nods to us before vamp speeding ahead of us. Alaric looks over at me with a worried look. He points down the hall as if he wants me to hide. I shake my head furiously and continue to tiptoe ahead of him.

Something blurs by and circles us as we reach the top of the stairs. Jerking my head towards Alaric, I watch as he is picked up and thrown down the stairs in one swift move.

"Ric?" I hear Damon say as I rush down towards him.

Kneeling down, I focus on Alaric. "Is anything broken?"

He groans but doesn't move. I check his pulse. Seems okay to me.

"Hello lover." I hear a familiar feminine voice say as I'm turning around.

"Seriously, Rebekah?" I groan as she stabs Damon in the chest with something I can't see.

She just grins maniacally over his shoulder at me. When I rise to my feet she drops him to the floor.

"Bitch." Damon manages to say.

"What the hell are you doing?" I ask her.

She cocks her head to the side. "Are you going to interfere or are you going to be a good friend?"

"Depends. What did he do now?" I roll my eyes and look down at him.

"He led me on and played me." She replies and glares at him.