Eight.

Rolling over in my huge bed, the sun shines through the window and hits my face. Groaning, I pull the blanket over my face and settle back into the most comfortable place in the world.

After twenty minutes or so, I sigh. There's no way I'm falling asleep again, so I throw the blankets back and sit up and stretch.

I gasp at the sight of my room filled with flowers. Hundreds of flower vases in a million different varieties, colors and arrangements cover every available surface and most of the floor.

In a huge arrangement of red, black and white roses and baby's breath on my nightstand is a card with my name on it in an elaborate script.

I reach over and pluck the card from the plastic stem. Inside it reads,

'Devon, I apologize for my atrocious behavior. Please forgive me. You have truly captivated me. If you will give me a second chance, come to the Mikaelson Estate at 8pm sharp. Anxiously awaiting your arrival. Yours, Kol Mikaelson.'

I stare at the card for a moment before scowling and tossing it aside.

"I'm gone for a couple weeks and your already cracking on with someone." I hear a very familiar voice say sadly behind a large planter of flowers.

Holding my breath, I jump out of bed and rush over there.

"J?" I say unbelievably.

As I round the side of the large planter, I see him sitting on the floor in the corner with his head hanging between his knees. His hair sticks out in all directions even worse than usual and his clothes look as if he's worn them for days. He doesn't move, and that worries me even more.

Squatting down, I get down to his level on the floor. Part of me doesn't believe that he's actually there. That would mean that Klaus was good on his word.

Tentatively, I reach out and touch the back of his head. He flinches but peeks up at me. His slight movement is anything but his normal mannerism.

"I shouldn't be here." He says quietly.

"I'm glad you are. I've been so worried about you."

He shakes his head no and turns to look at anything but me. "After what I did...."

"It wasn't you. It was Klaus." I reply.

I try to take his hand in mine, but he pushes me away.

"Terrible things.... all those people... Danny. Ollie.." He twists his face into a tortured expression. Rising to his feet, he stumbles.

I try to help him, but he turns away and knocks over a planter. Dirt and flowers scatter across the floor.

I hear footsteps behind me in the hallway and I know the noise has gotten the attention of Damon and Stefan.

Jack stares at the mess he's made and runs his hands through his hair, messing it up even more.

"I can't be here..." He mumbles to himself and backs into the dresser.

A decorative glass vase tumbles to the floor and shatters. The sound makes him flinch but he stands frozen to the spot as if he's terrified of everything around him.

"What is all this?" Stefan's voice asks as he walks into my room.

"I've learned to not be surprised by anything, but this is over the top." Damon responds sarcastically.

I turn to the brothers as Jack starts mumbling incoherently.

"What's his problem?" Damon frowns.