Fourteen.

Sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee with Jeremy who had hovered over me all morning, the door opened and Damon and Stefan walked in.

Stefan was carrying a sleeping Elena in his arms.

We both shot up from the table and rushed over. Damon shut the door and I rushed into his arms.

"Yeah. I'm alive. Calm down, white fang." He said but put an arm around me.

"How is she?" Jeremy asked.

Damon releases me with a pat on my back. "She's been in and out all morning."

"I'm gonna take her upstairs." Stefan says with a sad smile in my direction.

"What happens now?" I ask.

"She either dies or feeds and completes the transition." Damon says and watches his brother walk up the stairs.

The three of us fall silent and I clear my throat. "So, since Ric's gone, can I go home?"

"I don't think that's a good idea, Devon." Jeremy replies.

I groan. "You've been hovering all morning like I'm on suicide watch. I love you, Jer, I do. Your my best friend. But, I need some time alone."

He frowns at me and Damon glances between us.

"Can I ask why you don't think she should go home?" Damon asks.

"I just don't think she should be alone at a time like this." Jeremy insists.

Damon raises an eyebrow at Jeremy.  "Why? Because she was held hostage? Or because her ex boyfriend died? Who cares. Let her go home. She's tougher than she looks, little Gilbert."

"Thanks, Damon." I reply and grab my already packed bag from the stairs.

Damon walks upstairs and disappears before Jeremy looks at me sadly.

"You know I'm right." He whispers.

Sighing loudly, I shake my head. "I'm fine. I'm getting pretty good at hiding things and pushing down my emotions. I've been doing it all morning."

I walk outside and he follows me to my truck.

"Please don't go."

Tossing my bag in the passenger seat, I turn back to him. "Please tell me this isn't about the night Ric died and we..."

"No. I swear. I'm just worried about you. I know what your going to do. You always retreat into the darkest parts of yourself and go back to drinking all day. Or worse." He gives me a sad look. "I don't want to lose my best friend."

"I promise you, I won't do anything stupid, Jer." I kiss his cheek and get into my truck.

" I kiss his cheek and get into my truck

He was right. I shouldn't be alone, but I needed to be. I wanted to drown  in my misery and drink the day away.  Tyler was gone and I didn't get to say goodbye.