Ten.

After starting a pot of coffee, I hop up on the counter to sit and wait for it to finish. Before long, Damon strides into the room with a purpose.

"What the hell were you thinking?" He asks furiously.

I yawn widely. "Coffee first, then scold me for doing something great."

He scowls and grabs a blood bag from the fridge.

"Are you kidding me? You killed Finn! You realize that the rest of them are going to come down on you. You can say goodbye to your standing on the outskirts. And, your quasi friendship with Rebekah and Kol..."

"Kol isn't my friend." I interject.

He glares at me but continues speaking. "And I can guarantee that your little truce with Klaus is over."

"I took one for the team. So, what?" I shrug as the coffee pot dings.

I fill my mug and remain sitting on the counter.

"Do you have a death wish or something?"

"No. Not today at least. Can't say I've never thought about it, though." I reply as I add vanilla and sugar to my mug.

He drinks deeply from the blood bag.

"By the way, you can stop making rules about my life. I'm almost eighteen and don't need anyone else to call the shots."

He scoffs. "Your doing such a bang up job of taking care of yourself."

"Screw you, Damon."

"No. Go screw yourself. I'm done trying to keep you safe. And, another thing. Stay the hell out of my bourbon. You aren't even old enough to drink."

Stefan enters the room. "Technically, neither am I. But, blurred lines, you know."

"Shut up, Stefan." Damon retorts.

Laughing, I drain my coffee and hop down off the counter.

"I know it's like talking to a wall, but can you try to wear pants in the morning? Alaric's downstairs and it would probably be awkward for your history teacher to see you in all your morning glory." Stefan grins at me.

Grinning back, I reply, "Your becoming my favorite Salvatore brother. So, for you, anything."

Damon scoffs.

"Why's he down there anyway? Did his dark side come out to play?" I ask and refill my coffee.

"No but were hoping it will. He's hidden the last white oak steak."

"Ah. Babysitting a grown man. Sounds fun. Well, I have to get ready for school."

I head down the hall and Damon's on my heels. "Want to know what I'm doing today?"

"Does it matter? Your going to tell me anyway." I smirk at him.

"Oh, your going to want to know. I'm hoping it'll keep you from your usual day drinking."

I scoff. "Keep dreaming."

"Elena and I are road tripping to a certain mile high city."

I stop on the stairs. "Is Jeremy coming home?"

"Maybe."

"About damn time. Can I come with?" I ask.

"Nope." He smirks.

"Ugh. You just want Elena all to yourself so you can keep trying to weasel your way into her heart. Your so twisted."

"Thank you." He places a hand over his heart as if my statement touched him.