Sixteen.

Finally, I convince Jack to leave the bed and breakfast and come home with me. When we walk in the door, I am startled by Damon standing in the entryway.

"Sorry, who are you?" Damon says sarcastically.

"Nice to see you too, Damon." I respond.

"So, you do still live here? I was confused, since you've barely been here since oh, I don't know, the dance." He retorts.

"Not like you would have noticed. You've been a little preoccupied with Elena's new species upgrade. "

Jack steps in behind me and Damon raises an eyebrow at him.

"I should have guessed. Hybrid numero dos is back. That explains everything. Well, I have to take Elena and Bonnie to Whitmore college today. No parties, white fang." He pushes himself between Jack and I to get out the door.

Shaking my head, we head up to my room and just relax for a while. My phone rings interrupting our conversation. The caller id says Katie.

"Hey. When are you coming home?"

"Actually, I'm not. At least not for a while." I hear her heavy sigh on the other end of the line.

"What? Why?"

"My aunt was just diagnosed with cancer. It's why she's been so sick lately. She's not doing so well. My dad wants me to stay with her until she passes that way she has family with her."

"No. That's sucks. I'm so sorry, Katie."

"I know. I'm going to miss junior prom and everything. I have such mixed emotions about all of this. Part of me hates it, but with everything that's happening at home right now, I kinda want to stay away for a minute."

"I get it. Believe me. Sometimes I wish I had family to go stay with until this business is handled. But, knowing the history of it all, I'd probably come home to more dead friends."

"Oh, jeez. Way to be depressing. Please, don't die while I'm gone. I mean, I know your tough and you have all those vampire friends, but be careful, ya know."

"You don't have to worry about me, Katie. I've made it this far."

She laughs. "Damn. True. Well, my aunt's calling for me. This is like a job, I swear. Maybe I can put this on my college application. Do you think it'll help me get in anywhere? Text me later and tell me everything that I've missed."

"I will." I say with a laugh.

"See ya, Devon."

Later, my phone rings repeatedly while Jack and I are trying to get drunk and watch a movie on my laptop

"If that twat calls again..." Jack starts to say.

"Just put my phone on silent." I retort.

He glares at me and my phones rings again. Groaning, I take the phone from him and answer it.