Two.

Later, I'm laying in bed. Jack is sprawled out and snoring quietly in his underwear on the far side on the bed. I lay on top of the blankets still wearing my clothes. My mind is still reeling from everything that has happened in just a few hours since I've been home.

There's a quiet knock at my door and it creeps open slightly before I can answer.

"Devon?" Elena's voice is clear but quiet in the dark house.

I get up and tiptoe across the room.

"Elena. Are you okay?" I ask just above a whisper.

She shakes her head no, and points down the hall towards Stefan's bedroom door.

My brow furrows but I follow her barefoot through the dark house and out a side door. We walk through the yard until we reach the edge of the trees.

"I think we're far enough away. I'm so glad your home." She wraps her arms around my shoulders tightly and I return the hug.

"Thanks. I think I'm glad to be home." I reply halfheartedly. "I heard what happened."

She nods. "It's been a rough night for everyone. You included I'm sure."

"Is Jeremy okay?" I ask concern dripping from my voice.

"Kathrine will bring him home in one piece. Damon promised. I just can't believe it all. Did you know Stefan's back?" Her voice wavers.

I nod. "Why did he turn his humanity off?"

"Klaus compelled him because he refused to hurt me. After everything..." Tears start to fall from her eyes.

"Hey." I squeeze her hands in my own. "He will come back, Elena. Stefan doesn't give up on love. I don't know him like you do but I know that for sure. He will come back to you."

She takes a deep wavering breath. "I'm not so sure this time, Devon. You didn't see the way he looked at me. He's in the house, you know. You have to be careful."

"I'm a werewolf remember. If he gets too close, I'll just threaten to bite him. It's you I'm worried about." I return lightly.

She nods once and looks back up at the house with worry in her dark eyes. "Make sure you get your friends out in the morning. Damon made Stefan promise to leave them alone until then."

"I appreciate that. I didn't know what else to do with them. They wouldn't let me travel alone once we met."

"That's nice of them. But, your home now and I'd hate for them to die here." Elena shivers.

"You should get home. You want me to take you?"

She shakes her head no. "I can manage. But, thanks Devon. I'll see you tomorrow."

I watch her try to muster up a sad smile for me before she heads off towards her car in the driveway.