~First Day on the Job~

Song: Drama Club by Melanie Martinez

By the next Saturday, the kids were all used to Steve's house and his schedule. That day, Steve had just finished his hair routine when he heard snickers from outside his bathroom door.

He whipped around to find Dustin, El, and Max standing there. "You little shits were spying on me, weren't you!" Steve yelled, his face turning red with anger.

"I came in here to ask if we could go to the mall with you," El said innocently.

Steve raised an eyebrow and said, "You can go with me, if you don't mention my hair routine to the others." All three kids nodded and hurried away from Steve's bathroom.

They walked downstairs go find Mike and Lucas sprawled across the floor, and Will laying on the couch, silently snoring, while a Coke commercial played on the TV.

Max smiled and went over to Lucas, slapping him across the face for no reason whatsoever. "Dude!" He exclaimed, and Max grinned and said, "Steve said we could go to the mall with him! Get out your pajamas so we can go!"

Lucas rolled his eyes and walked to the guestroom to change out of his plaid pajama pants and plain grey shirt.

Dustin took Lucas's spot on the floor, crossing his legs primly. "Guys, we should get Steve a present at the mall today, for taking care of us," he announced.
~Later~
"Get the best gifts you can find, people!" Dustin yelled, hands on hips. Everyone nodded and split into groups. El and Max, Dustin and Will, Mike and Lucas. El and Max bought him a new black hairbrush with a drawing of a vintage teal car on it, some cheap cologne, and a bright orange card with Thank You written in gold cursive letters across the front.

They both wrote a message inside  the card and went to find a gift bag. They found a plain white one, bought some gold tissue paper, and headed to the fountain in the center of the mall to prepare and get the gift ready.

Meanwhile, Dustin and Will got him a white coffee mug that said, Long Hair, Don't Care, with a drawing of a lion on it, a poster with a red vintage car on it, and a new basketball. The got a separate red bag for the coffee mug and poster, then stuffed the basketball into a bigger red bag, stuffed each of them with white tissue paper, and went to pick out a card.

Will found a sea green one that had the outline of a smiling boy on it that said You are appreciated for everything you do! In a white bubbly font on the inside of the card. They each wrote a message and met the girls at the fountain, telling them about their gift for Steve.

Lucas and Mike had the most troubles looking for gifts. In the end, they decided on a red Lifeguard sweatshirt, some Old Spice deodorant, and a gift card to Enzos, a fancy restaurant nearby. The grabbed a random bag, which happened to be an ugly puke green colored bag covered in tiny dark green dinosaurs that read, Happy Birthday buddy! In black letters. They grabbed a random card too, which had three adorable little puppies laying on the grass, the pale blue sky above them, the clouds reading a message that said: Get well soon!

The two boys grabbed some black tissue paper, got the gift ready, and met the others at the fountain.
~Meanwhile~
As soon as I stepped into Scoops Ahoy, a bald man handed me an ugly sailors uniform and hat.

"I'm already hired?" I asked, confused. He nodded and said, "Robin'll show you around."

The girl from last week showed me the ropes and then it was time to actually start. I grabbed an ice cream scooper and sighed. The first ten customers or so was fine, and then there was a long break from customers.

About two hours later, I spotted a horrible figure. Teased black hair, wearing a tight white top, a long flowy black skirt, white tights, and her signature shiny light pink high heels. Arms linked with a tall boy with a six pack, and shiny blonde hair with a center part.

Robin was busy serving two middle schoolers so I was left to serve my ex and what had to be her new boyfriend. "Hey, Stevie, Kane and I want a mint chocolate chip," Tori said sweetly. "Cones or bowls?" I asked, getting my scooper ready. "Cones," Tori said, with a giggle.

I nodded, got their ice cream ready, and rang them up. When I was finished, the guy, Kane, went to sit in a booth while Tori just stood across the counter, staring at me, chewing on her lip, which was covered in dark red lipstick.

"So, uh, Stevie, you free this Saturday?" She asked, taking the ugly sailors hat off my head and twirling it between her fingers, with her shiny plain fingernails.

"Oh, uh, what about Kane?" I asked. She winked at me and said, "He's just a friend." "And that's exactly what we're gonna be, Tori, since you broke up with me. You hurt me, but you know what? I've moved on from you, and I can see you have too. So have fun with your buddy Kane and leave so I can do my job," I replied sternly. She pouted and said, "If we dated again, you wouldn't need this job, Stevie. You could just ask for a couple thousand bucks and I'd give it to you."

Tempting. Not really.

"Sorry, Tori, but I really think we should go our separate ways. You've got your new life and I've got mine. Summertime is just around the corner, anyways, and after that you'll be going to that fancy college in California and I'll still be here," I replied, with a shrug.

"Kane, get over here," Tori called, in a sickly sweet voice. Kane rose from the table, still holding their cones. "You know what to do, Kane," she said in the same tone of voice. Kane nodded and handed her the ice cream cones.

Then he grabbed my shirt collar and easily lifted me a foot off the ground. He was about to punch me when he was punched right on the nose, blood spurting out, and he dropped me onto the ground. I groaned, ran a hand through my hair, looking up.

"You're welcome, dingus."

Draaaama! Have a great day!
Bye,
Stories📖
Word Count: 1,095!