Chapter 28 : Limits

Without you , life is incomplete . . .

                                                     ~Unknown

Jay was avoiding me,and I dreaded each moment of it.

It all started right after we both agreed to give each other some space.God knows from the bottom of my heart that I didn't mean it but Jay thought otherwise and he had kept it up until school resumed,and we entered fresh as seniors.

It was like the holidays never came  as Christmas passed in a soft breeze and New year was celebrated with vigour.

Yet ,Jay never giving me a chance to interact with him.

The whole time during the vacation I went over to their home to babysit Mike, he'd either be locked up somewhere upstairs or out with his friends at basketball ball practice.He treated me like a plague,a fever without a cure. . . which all had one lasting effect,it left me drained and broken.

It hurt me knowing that he was moving on with his life,a tiny part of me wanting to see him breakdown at the exhaustion of not spending time with me but it was like he remained stoic,unfazed.

You could always see him laughing around with his jock friends,his laughter bouncing back on the walls of the school ,the  little jokes he made in class bringing silent smiles on my lips. . . as if I didn't matter, killing me  softly inside.

"Hey,is this seat taken?"A red head with blue rimmed glasses asked snapping me out of my reverie.She was dressed in a hoodie and jeans,and considering the warm weather,I wondered how she survived the heat.Shrugging it off,I replied to her need.

"No , it's not."I smiled and she sank gratefully in it.

The door creaked open and in walked Jake Greene, striding in with mastered confidence,his signature half smile working its magic.

Single female eyes followed his every move  from the way he acknowledged the presence of  faces familiar to him,from his teammates to his fangirls . He greeted the teacher who was more engrossed in popping her gum than her students with a little salute and she gave him a once over shifting awkwardly  on her seat.

His soft blue eyes,like a magnet got caught in mine and time stood still.

His gaze bore into mine and I greeted him with a blank stare, hoping his face would break into the slightest form of acknowledgement,but it didn't.

He tactfully averted his gaze to the red head beside me who nervously adjusted her glasses and  went  a flaming red  leaving me confused as to if  it was her clothes making her uncomfortable or Jay's stare.

I shifted nervously on my seat hoping that he would take the empty seat infront of me which I had purposely declared  occupied  saving it for him.

My disappointment heightened as his gaze swept across the room,past the empty seat infront of  me, looking for an empty one.

Upon not spotting any,he walked to the  end of the room, farthest away from me and whispered something to a dark blonde girl seated on it  who giggled and got up offering it to him.

Jay radiated importance,and he sure knew how to use it

Jay slid into her seat dropping his bag by his feet and sliding his phone from out of his pocket.

Then the over zealous girl slipped into the seat I'd purposely left for him tripping up on herself with excitement in the process.

It was like a mantra now, him acting like I barely existed and only sparing me a glance at rare intervals.I sighed sneaking a glance at him and caught him staring back,a lost expression in his eyes.