Chapter 48 : Mutual Understanding

I sat staring at the board as Miss Rosalie chattered on about the effects of climate change on the earth.The bangles around her wrists rose up and down as she made gestures with her arms while her net like robe flew behind her.She had a natural aura about her and I quite admired it.

"Can we share your textbook? Mine is not in yet."A voiced with a Spanish lilt boomed from beside me.I looked up at the exchange student who was in a couple of my classes.He'd waved at me the few times we came across each other on campus and I was slowly getting acquainted with him.

"Sure."I nodded pushing the book to the middle of the table so Diaz and I could both could see.Taking a cursory look at Jay who sat some few rows back staring at the Spanish exchange student with  his face scrunched up in distaste,I made a mental note to hurry up to class the next time.Our last class ended late and we were unable to find to empty double seats together so we split up.Not wanting to disturb the sirene nature of the class.
Feeling my phone vibrate quietly in the pocket of my jeans,I pulled it out and buried it in my notebook to scan across the message.

What's up with the Spanish dude?

I read over Jay's text and glanced at him,his eyes cast down, concentrating on the device resting on his thighs beneath the desk.

I was typing out a reply when another text popped up on my screen.

Jay : He's creeping up on you! Wtf!

I didn't notice

I pressed send and the message was immediately marked as read.Looking up,I met Jay's eye.His lips turned up in a smile and  butterflies fluttered in my belly. I stared back down at my phone screen to cover the blush.

Jay : Ngl,he has good taste,you.

I've got him under a spell, it'll wear off soon.*wink emoji*

Jay : Damn, now I get the reason you're  perfect at everything.

Me : lol,you do know we're not supposed to be texting rn!

Jay : I know, texting you is an exception.

Me : Wouldn't we like to hear that during detention.

Jay : Magical, then I'd have enough time to study you.

I was about typing another reply when a shadow loomed over me.My smile slowly faded as I looked up to find Miss Rosalie staring down at me with disapproving eyes.Without a word I locked my phone and placed it gently in the container she held out to me.

"And you too Mr. Greene.Pass your communication tool forward.I didn't miss the love sick glances you were casting at each other."She added for a good measure picking Jay's phone from the table infront of her.

"So you texting her in class now? Dude you pussy whipped."One of Jay's teammate's teased from behind sending the class in chaotic approval.My face burned red as I whipped my gaze from Jay's,my eyes catching a glimpse of Chad who sat two desks away from me.
He nervously tapped the tip of his pen on the table, his face looking sad and tired.My heart internally went out for him knowing he was most probably trying his best to get over me.He'd been ghosting me for a while now especially during the two weeks Jay and I had spent as a couple.If that was his coping technique I was cool with that as far as it worked for him.

Miss Rosalie's period ended after a few minutes and the students filed out of the classroom amidst laughter and chatter.Jay and I tactfully waited behind as the class emptied before making our way to the teacher's table where Miss Rosalie was seated jotting something down in her bright yellow pocket note book.Jay cleared his throat and she looked up at us.Shenraised her brows in question,then suddenly remembered.