5

JUNGKOOK POV

Jungkook was used to waiting.

It was part and parcel of the life of a royal omega. Being an omega came with built-in inertia.

You were never the captain of your own ship, never the person, the author of your own life.

You were always the background to someone else's story. Some alpha who strutted around like he...

"They're ready for us." jiwoo's voice cut through his thoughts.

"Now or never," he murmured to himself, plastering on a smile.

"I'm ready."

Jiwoo had worn a nervous expression from the moment they'd stepped off the airship.

Jungkook wasn't sure what he was expecting, but it bothered him to see the facilitator so off-balance.

"Any last-minute advice?" he asked in an undertone as they followed an imperious-looking man through a maze of corridors.

Colorful banners marked their way, masking the bare stone of the castle walls.

The banners were old and had been patched up more than once but there was something very pleasing about the unpretentious, handmade decorations.

Something sweet and hopeful.

They approached a set of double doors leading to a hall and came to a stop outside.

Jungkook peeked in, taking in the cavernous dimensions lit by a mixture of candles, old-fashioned embers lamps, and more modern electric lights.

The hall was unoccupied, and he was just wondering whether they were meant to be greeted by an empty room when footsteps approached from their left.

He turned, expecting some kind of formal delegation coming to meet them.

And almost backpedaled at the sight of the three alphas storming toward them. Calling them unkempt didn't cut it.

They were mud-strewn, their clothing torn and was that blood?

Jungkook hadn't known what to expect, but it certainly was not this.

A sideways glance at Jiwoo, and he had to choke back a laugh.

Jiwoo's face was a picture,In all their months of traveling together, he'd never seen quite that mixture of horror and distaste grace the man's face.

With only seconds to prepare, he had to think fast.

This wasn't how any kingdom would normally greet a delegation of omega princes.

Which meant either they were trying to make a point, or they were attempting to frighten him off.

Well, jungkook didn't scare that easily. Or so he told himself as he held his ground.

The three alphas slammed to a stop a few feet ahead of them, and a tense silence followed.

No one moved. No one spoke.

He wasn't allowed to speak, not until he'd been introduced. Which meant they were waiting on...

"Jiwoo," he said sharply as he threw a look of exasperation Jiwoo's way.

This was not the time to be tongue-tied. He needed Jiwoo to be his usual unflappable self.

"Oh, yes." Jiwoo thankfully snapped out of his shock.

"I am Kim Jiwoo of the Imperial Commission of Royal Betrothals."