7

JUNGKOOK POV

Everyone was fussing, and if it was one thing he hated, it was fuss.

They all had an opinion on every thing, from his clothes to his hair.

He finally kicked everyone out of the dressing room except for Jin, Sujin And bam, of course.

The cat didn't like to be left out when things were happening.

"Why is this so fiddly? Jungkook grumbled, trying and failing to do up the tiny buttons on his tunic.

Who made men's clothes that only a child could fasten?

"Let me," Jin said, batting his hands away.

"You look good," Sujin offered.

"That blue really brings out your eyes."

"The family colors," Jungkook said heavily.

"My father would be so proud."

His friends exchanged a look.

"It's not a weakness to change your mind," Sujin offered.

"There's no shame in it."

"I'm not changing my mind," he snapped, exasperated.

This was the third time someone had said it since they'd returned to the airship.

"Maybe you should?" Jin suggested hesitantly.

"Easy for you to say."

"You're already betrothed."

"This is my chance, guys."

"I'm taking it with both hands."

"Even if it's terrible?"

"Even if you end up trapped in a horrible situation that you can't get out of?"

That possibility hadn't escaped him But he figured it was a roll of the dice regardless of what kingdom and which alpha prince they were talking about.

Problems of the kind that made marriages inadvisable were generally hushed up until after the vows were exchanged, no matter how carefully people tried to vet potential spouses.

"Better a chance at a life worth living than none at all."

He was tired of trying to think of a clever way out of his situation.

His father couldn't be reasoned with and there was no one else in his family willing to stand up for him. If there was one sure way of incurring the king's wrath, it was speaking up on his behalf.

More than one member of the royal staff had been dismissed and family member exiled during his childhood. Everyone else had learned that it wasn't worth the risk. He wasn't worth the risk.

"There." Jin stepped back, looking him up and down.

"You look gorgeous."

"Your husband's eyes are going to pop out of his head."

"He barely looked at me the first time. I don't think some clothes are going to warm his heart." He could handle disinterest.

He was used to being ignored.

There was a knock on the door, and Jiwoo stepped inside.

"Good, you're ready."

"Are your things packed?"

"Yes. Except Bam."

Jiwoo eyed the cat dubiously as Bam stared at him from his perch on top of a mirror.