24

JUNGKOOK POV

Jungkook all but ran from the parlor and into his bedroom, slamming the door shut behind him. He stood inside the room, breathing hard. None of what he'd just heard sounded good.

It wasn't unexpected that his father would want the marriage annulled.

Once he got his wish, it would be hushed up as quickly as possible.

Jungkook would be sent far away where he'd never be a thorn in anyone's side ever again.

He was painfully aware that, like Jimin himself, the alpha's family wasn't exactly supportive of their marriage.

He knew that Jimin's father had seen some advantage to the union and that was the only reason it had gone ahead.

If he'd changed his mind, if the pressure Jungkook's father brought to bear was too much...

Fear and anger warred through him. Why had Jimin acted like he didn't want this to be over when Jungkook knew he'd never wanted to be married in the first place?

Why hadn't he just said that he wanted to end things?

If it came down to him or the kingdom, he knew the prince would never choose him. He couldn't even blame him for that.

But the excuse to end their marriage was right there in front of him, so why didn't he just take it?

Why lead Jungkook on like this, make it sound like a hard choice?

He heard Jimin leave the parlor and head off into the castle, his heavy footsteps fading into the distance.

Once Jungkook was sure he was gone, he slipped from the room and made his way back to his workshop.

It hadn't been easy getting all the supplies he'd needed, but Ari's advice had paid off.

He'd managed to scrounge up the rest from various store cupboards and disused rooms.

He stared around the small room with satisfaction.

A fire burned in the hearth, an adhesive mixture bubbled away in a cauldron and bam was flaked out on a rug, looking like he belonged there.

Jungkook was happy in this room whiling away the empty hours learning his craft.

He didn't want to give this up.

But there were other forces at work, pressures from without and within.

He knew how his father could be, though he didn't know why he'd taken such exception to this marriage.

Jungkook was far away, out of his sight, exactly where the king wanted him. Wasn't that enough?

Or did his father have to know that he was suffering for all eternity?

Was it so important to the king that he never find a modicum of happiness, that he'd break all the rules just to wrench Jungkook away from this life?

And now Jimin's father wanted Jungkook to report home that he was happy and healthy and enjoying a good marriage.

He'd say whatever had to be said, lie or not. Only Would that not act like a red rag to a bull, incensing his father further and making him more determined to bring Jungkook home?

The fear and dread made him anxious and jittery, so he did what he always did when he didn't want to face life head-on he got stuck into his work.

He'd had the plans for his new project sketched out for over a week. Distracted by Jimin and their outings, he hadn't made as much progress as he'd hoped.