35

JIMIN POV

A strained silence took root between them as they walked back to the castle.

Jimin didn't know what to say.

He wasn't angry, exactly.

More... heartsick.

He'd believed there was some thing true between them, some thing real.

He hadn't wanted to name it, to say it aloud.

He'd been afraid that if he pushed too hard, said it too soon jungkook would pull away from him.

When all the time, Jungkook had had one foot out the door.

His father was waiting in the study when they returned.

"Jimin, good. There's an incursion by the pirates, in the northeast. Your brothers are already on their way."

Jungkook walked past them and out of the study, shutting the door behind him. The king followed his movements with a frown. "Is something wrong?"

"It didn't go well," was all he could think to say.

"We... things between us weren't what I thought."

"Jimin..." His father stopped and shook his head.

"There's no time for this now, Go join your brothers."

"We'll talk later."

He didn't need to be told twice, racing to the armory and then heading out with a group of guards.

The sun was setting by the time they returned to the castle, weary and cold. He couldn't fail to see the sidelong glances his brothers kept sending him.

Ignoring them, he sent a servant with a message to his father to inform him of their success and then went straight to his rooms.

He stripped, washed, and dressed again, walking into his bedroom to find he wasn't alone.

Tae sat by his window while Yoongi was perched on the end of his bed.

"What?"he asked tiredly, wanting nothing more than some sleep.

"We just want to know what's up," Yoongi said simply.

"Nothing. I'm fine. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

"Is it Jungkook? Has something happened?" Yoongi pressed.

Jimin looked away, struggling to get himself under control.

He wanted to lash out in anger, but neither of his brothers deserved to be its target.

"He's leaving hybe."

"What?" Tae pushed to his feet, looking as surprised as Jimin had ever seen him.

"You can't be serious."

"I am serious. He doesn't want to be in this marriage and he does not want to return home to his father, so he found somewhere else to go."

Yoongi was shaking his head before jimin had even finished speaking.

"That makes no sense, We've seen you and him together."

"You are more than the sum of your parts."

Jimin's heart ached. Only that morning, he'd thought so too.

"I don't know what to tell you."

"Well, I do," Tae insisted. "You need to start from the beginning and tell us everything. Let's get this mess straightened out."