Chapter 4: Trouble

A few days after the beach, I was sitting alone in my house, bored. School has closed out for today and I didn't have anything to do in mind. Normally, I would've been fine with doing nothing, but now, I think starting to do more things is making me always want to do something.

Buzz. Buzz.

Oh? It looks like I received a phone call. 'Nanami'... Oh, Nanami's calling me? What for? I picked up the phone and held it against my ear. "Hello, Nanami. How are you today?" I said the second I picked up. I wonder why she didn't consider sending me a text message instead...

"Hey, Hinata. I heard some news and I wanted you to be aware. Usually, I don't follow these kinds of things, but intruders have been spotted on school grounds last night."

"...What?"

"Mhm. They were mostly spotted around the Main Course buildings... but I wanted to inform you just in case. Hope's Peak researchers have found that they may have been a part of a terrorist group."

"You have to be kidding..."

"I wish I was. They think they might have been planning to attack the school. They're still studying them to make sure, but that's what they have so far. It reminds me of a game I played once... where the evil opponents would try destroying a building and you try to stop them... I hope it doesn't become a reality."

"I hope they can be dealt with."

"I thought you might've wanted to know so... here we are. Just be careful, alright, Hinata?"

"Of course. Thank you, Nanami."

"No problem!" and then she hung up. I guess that was all she wanted to tell me. A terrorist group spotted on school grounds? What the– I hope no one gets hurt. Well, I guess we can leave it up to the school. They'll surely know how to deal with this.

*****

I decided to go out for a walk to try to clear my mind for a bit. Honestly, it's not like I usually go out on walks. But today somehow seemed like the day for it. I walked to the park. I hardly visit this area. Maybe because I wasn't interested in going before. I guess I decided to take things for a turn today.

Suddenly, I heard some commotion coming from around the park area. I quickly went to see what it was. A fight...? There, I saw four people. Two guys were facing off two other guys. Hang on... two of them are Reserve Course students and the other two are Main Course students, judging from the uniforms. But why would they be having an argument?

Then, I immediately recognized one of the Main Course students as I got closer. K-Komaeda? How the hell did he get himself in a fight? I realized that the guy standing next to him was the pink-haired guy I saw at the beach. Souda... right? Luckily, I recalled his name. The two Reserve Course students seemed like guys I recognized, but I hadn't known their names.

As I got closer, I could finally hear details of the argument.

"...stupid Main Course students. Always being treated way better than those of us in the Reserve Course. How come we don't get the same treatment?!" One of the Reserve Course students said in an angry tone.

"H-hey... it's not like it's our faul–" Before Souda could finish what he was going to say, the Reserve Course student pushed him on his chest and Souda fell hard on the rough ground. "O-ow..."

"Souda... are you alright?" Komaeda asked him as he crouched beside Souda.

"Y-yeah..." He replied.

Komaeda then stood up from Souda's side and looked both Reserve Course students in the eyes. "Now, that was a very childish way to handle this. What gave you the permission to retaliate? We did nothing wrong. That was a hopeless response perfectly fitting for lowly Reserve Course students." L-lowly? "You know, talent brings hope into this world. I'm not sure if you realized it yet, but it clearly doesn't apply to you hopeless people."

"HEY, YOU–" The other Reserve Course student grabbed Komaeda by the collar of his shirt and was ready to punch him in the face.

I decided to jump in. I was sick of watching. "H-hey! Stop!"

Komaeda looked at me as his collar was still being gripped by the Reserve Course student. "H-Hinata-kun?"

The Reserve Course students turned to me, and the one gripping Komaeda's collar finally let go. "Shit!" one of them said as they stomped away. I guess they just didn't want this to get out to anyone.

We watched as they walked away. "Wow, I guess I really am lucky." Komaeda said, breaking the silence. "Thanks a lot, Hinata-kun!"

I didn't make eye contact with him. I-I can't believe I did that... Why did he say...? The world began to slowly spin. Without hesitation, I ran away. Like a stupid child. I ran away. I ran away from Komaeda. Souda was probably confused, and he saw my weak side.

Way behind me, I could hear a voice calling out to me. "Hinata-kun?!" I ignored it. I just... need to think.

Yeah... that's it. I need to think. I need to rest for now. I'll just... head home.