Chapter 9: Fall

"KOMAEDA!"

I immediately ignored the existence of the trespassers. They'll be taken care of by the school staff... First, I have to see if Komaeda's okay! There's... no way he could've survived a fall like that. I'm... getting worried. Please... be okay.

I climbed down from the building as fast as I could and headed toward the front. I found Komaeda lying on the floor. I ran up to his side quickly. "K-Komaeda...?"

Komaeda's head was bleeding... and quite a lot. There was blood leaking onto the floor. He wasn't giving a response. "Komaeda...! You can't die now...! You're the Super High School Level Lucky Student... please..." I placed my hand on his chest to confirm whether or not he was alive. I received no noticeable response. I couldn't even feel his heartbeat and he didn't look like he was breathing. I... I'm never going to convince myself that he's dead. He can't be. There has to be some sort of mistake.

Komaeda... the laid-back, cheerful, annoying guy I knew, is now in front of me... with a head wound. I decided to take a look at the wound. It was sort of... gaping. Just a little bit though. He must've experienced severe head shock.

He has always shown an interest in me. Why was he so interested in some Reserve Course student? Why did he even bother talking to me at all? "I couldn't even save you..." I whispered.

"Hinata?" I heard a voice. Nanami... seems like she came to check on me. But I'm not the one here who needs help.

She walked in from behind a tree. I turned to look at her, and before I knew it, a few tears started streaming down my face. Once she finally realized what was going on, she walked over to me. "Oh... Hinata..." She reached out to hug me, since it was clear she knew I was hurt.

Without thinking, I pushed her onto the ground. I clenched my fists. Nanami looked at me with a surprised expression on her face. "I'll go fetch help." She said as she ran off. A whole stack of guilt is tugging at my stomach. I don't feel well at all. Not... at... all...

Without warning, I was surrounded by darkness.

*****

I opened my eyes slowly. I found myself in a strange environment. It took some blinks to make it clear to me that I was in a hospital environment. A hospital...? What am I doing here? I looked at the doctor who was in the room. "Why... am I here?"

The doctor looked at me. "Oh, good. You're awake. You passed out for a while and it seems that stress was the cause. Luckily your friend dashed quickly to fetch us in time." Nanami...

An epiphany suddenly jabbed me in the head. "Where's Komaeda?!" I quickly got up.

The doctor's eyes seemed to look sorry. Huh...? "Slow down, you just woke up."

"Just tell me where he is." I told her.

"He's in the room next door." She responded. "But be slow and quiet when you walk in. He's asleep at the moment. With a fall like that, I'd expect him to be in a coma for a while, but it turns out he'll be able to wake up very soon. The... doctor in that room could... tell you more about his status."

"Oh, thank god he's okay..." I sighed in relief. "Alright, I'll go there now." I ran out of the room.

"O-okay..." The doctor said in response.

I approached the door to Komaeda's room. I took a deep breath before walking in. The second I walked in, I saw Komaeda in the hospital bed with multiple things plugged into him. He had bandages wrapped around his head. He was hardly moving at all. It almost looks like he's dead. Well... thankfully, he isn't...

I walked over to Komaeda's side and glanced at the doctor who was in there. He turned to me. "Oh, came to check on your friend?"

I nodded to him. "Yeah,"

He approached me and looked over at Komaeda and then looked back at me. "You wanna hear the good news or the bad news?"

"There's bad news...?" I was worried.

"Yep. I'll start with the good news. So he's going to be okay. We're working to heal the severe wound on his head, but he'll survive."

"...and the bad news?" I asked.

"He experienced a major concussion in his head and it damaged the hippocampus area."

"And...?" I gulped.

"Which causes... memory loss."

"M-memory loss...?!" I was so shocked I could barely move. "So... what you're saying is... he... won't remember me...?"

The doctor lowered his head. "I'm afraid so."

"I... he..." I had no words. I had absolutely no words. It's like I suddenly lost the ability to speak. Komaeda... wouldn't remember me? No... there's no way. That's impossible...

But I knew no matter how much I convinced myself of that, I could never run away from the truth.

"I know you're speechless, which is why we tried to deliver this information to you slowly and not suddenly. If anything, we didn't want to ruin your spirit, we really didn't." The doctor tried to assure me.

"Is there... no way he can... get his memories back?" I said with a paralyzed look on my face.

"We have absolutely no idea. Memory is... a difficult thing to study so we can't be certain."

"Um... yeah..." I was so hurt, I could barely give a normal response. I can't believe it. He won't only forget me, but he'll also forget everyone he ever met. I feel... sorry for him. Really sorry. I... wasn't able to truly save him from the trespassers. I... feel useless. Absolutely useless. I suddenly remembered what one of the trespassers said. I guess I really am a useless, untalented brat. I'm a nobody who can't do anything.

My attempt to protect him without harming him had failed.