Chapter 15: Return

Komaeda and I were both super exhausted. We watched as the police arrested all of the terrorist men. We were panting really hard.

"Komaeda...?" I spoke.

"...yes?" He responded after five seconds.

"We did it... didn't we?"

"We... did. I don't know how... but we somehow did... I'm glad to be helping you by your side... even though I never remembered who you were."

The thought came back to me. Yeah... that's right... his memories are still gone. And... we don't even know whether or not it's possible for him to get them back. The thought stabbed through my heart once more. It's... fine... I only hope so. "Yeah..."

I swore that I would get his memories back. I swore that I would try, even if I have to destroy science. But I clearly haven't done it yet. I don't even know how we're going to do it, but I would do anything. It's just... this outcome of the fall is too sad. Everything we did together, every conversation we had... is forgotten. I can't let it stay like that for any longer...

An officer approached the two of us. "Both of you did a really brave thing today. Well done,"

"You... can say that again..." I felt really sweaty.

The officer then left us and the police drove off with the criminals in their cars. As they drove past us, the arrested men quickly struggled to point the middle finger at us and the car drove off. Komaeda and I couldn't help but laugh.

"We should go, right?" Komaeda said after seconds went by.

"Yep. Come with me," I told him as he began to follow me. We decided to head far back to where Hope's Peak was so we could navigate our way from there. It took a while. We paused at multiple resting spots. But, when we finally got there, I was super exhausted. We both walked by the baseball field by the school. There seemed to be some students practicing there right now.

"Watch out!" I heard someone yell as my head got hit by some kind of object, most likely a baseball, at a very fast speed. So much for the warning... I then bumped into Komaeda and then fell on the floor. Why was the ball moving so freakin' darn fast? Whoever the baseball player is, they're good at baseball but anyone would have to watch out. I tried getting up again, but ended up passing out from the exhaustion and the blow.

*****

I was in a dark place. All I could hear was my thoughts. They were screaming at me. I was truly alone. No sound nor whisper. Just my thoughts ready to consult me for what I've done. I couldn't even hear my own footsteps. It was like... the whole world silenced for me to think. It was a dumb thought, but that's how it felt. Not just my ears... but all my senses seemed to have come to a quick, simultaneous pause.

"Hinata-kun..." I heard a familiar voice in my ear.

"Huh...?" I said quietly.

"Hinata-kun, look at what you did to me. This was all your fault. You should never have stepped in. Look at you, you talentless Reserve Course worthless trash. This is what happens when you get in the way of hope."

"Komaeda...? I'm sorry! Please!"

"Now my memories are gone. How hopelessly despair-inducing. Hopeless people like you don't deserve to serve hope. More less you fit it so well with the majority of the population. Worthless beings. This was all... your fault."

"Komaeda...!" I couldn't speak much. My mind was swirling and feeling dizzy. Gallons of guilt were filling me up from head to toe. I could hardly feel my body and I felt numb all over. All I could hear was his voice, over and over again.

"It's all your fault. It's all your fault. It's all your fault. It's all your fault.
It's all your fault it's all your fault it's all your fault it'sallyourfaultit'sallyourfaultit'sallyourfaultit'sallyourfaultit'sallyourfaultit'sallyourfault–"

"AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!" I yelled but there was no one to hear. Then I was left... empty. Not a sound. I couldn't hear a thing anymore. It was sickening. I was so damn sick of it. "Komaeda... I'm... sorry..." was all that could come out of my mouth.

I immediately woke up from that nightmare. I was in a different setting this time. I was in a room that looked like a bedroom. Turns out, I was asleep on the floor of that bedroom. But who's bedroom is this...? It isn't mine... I looked to see that I was covered by someone's jacket. Komaeda's, perhaps...? Wait... if that's his, then this house must be... so that means...!

I got up and headed out of the room immediately. I ended up at the entrance for a room that looked like it could be a living room. I entered it, and I saw a glass door, which was wide open. There was the outside, shining from that doorway. And, in front of the doorway, I saw him sitting with his back facing me, looking out the doorway.

"K-Komaeda...!" I said.

He turned half of his body around to face me. "H-Hinata-kun..." He smiled and a tear ran down his face from one of his eyes.