Chapter 5: Sick

I was in bed... and I didn't feel too well. I rested my arm on my forehead. It... feels so hot. This room... feels so hot. I felt like I was sweating buckets. It wasn't a good feeling, for sure. I felt sick to my stomach. Something about yesterday... really made me feel awful... and Komaeda–

No, I'll forget about him. What he said... Did he really mean that? I'm not going to think about it. I shouldn't. It's not worth it.

Anyways, I hate being cooped up in bed, but I feel too drowsy to stand. I just grabbed my phone and checked my text messages.

Chiaki Nanami: Hey, Hinata. How's your day been?

Hajime Hinata: Fine.

Chiaki Nanami: Are you doing alright?

Hajime Hinata: Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little sick.

Chiaki Nanami: Oh, I hope you feel better soon. Tell me when you're able to meet so we could play again together.

Hajime Hinata: Sure.

I set my phone down and sighed. The next second, I received a phone call. I picked up my phone and read the name of the recipient. 'Komaeda'. I set my phone back down and ignored my phone as it continued to ring. Eventually, it stopped. A few seconds later, it started ringing again. Can he just leave me the hell alone...? Why would he like to hear from a "lowly" Reserve Course student like me?

I grabbed my phone again, went back to my contacts list, and blocked him. I sighed in relief of not being bothered anymore. I still wasn't feeling well, so I went downstairs to grab some water. I... realized water was exactly what I needed. It was refreshing to drink some for once.

I sat on the couch, exhausted even though I hardly did any movement. I then heard my phone ring. What is it this time...? I picked up my phone and it turned out to be Nanami. I answered the call. "Hello? Nanami?"

"Hey, Hinata-kun... this isn't Nanami-san." I was about to hang up until he kept speaking. "Please, before you hang up, I have something to tell you."

"If I wanted to hear from you, I wouldn't have blocked you."

"I know, I know. Nanami-san just let me call you from her phone. We're both by the fountain now. Look... I just want to say... I'm sorry."

"You said those things because you thought I wasn't there, didn't you?!"

"Huh...? I have no idea what you're talking about...? I can tell you're mad at me, Hinata-kun, but I never knew what for. I'm sorry for anything that I have said that may have hurt you. But it was because of what I said about Reserve Course students, right? Is that it? That's all I can think of..."

"So what if it is? I'm an untalented, lowly Reserve Course student, aren't I?! Why do you even care if my feelings are hurt?!"

"I do care. I apologize for what I said earlier. I wasn't referring to you. I was just trying to defend Souda from those Reserve Course students who were assaulting him. I wasn't trying to hurt you, I swear it. I was only making sure I was hurting them. I had no idea you were listening. Please... Hinata-kun... I don't want you to hate me. It's not like you're obligated to forgive worthless trash like me. I'm so hopeless..."

"K-Komaeda...!" I tried to think of what to say in response. "I... forgive you. I'm sorry for acting out... I was just mad."

"So... we're friends again?"

There was a pang in my stomach. What was that just now? "Mhm."

"Ahahaha... that's a relief."

What... was that feeling? It was so sudden... so brief... It was strange. Why did my body react like that? "Yeah,"

"Also, I heard you were sick today and I can even hear it in your voice. I hope you feel better soon..."

"Yeah... thanks."

"See you, then!"

"See you," Then I ended the call. I opened my contacts again and unblocked Komaeda. I felt tired so I went back upstairs and settled myself in bed. I drank some pills earlier to help with my sickness, so hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow. I sleepily pulled my blanket over me and got myself comfortable. I'll have to keep my mind off things for now in order to sleep.

I closed my eyes and slowly became surrounded by darkness and I dived deep into somber.