Chapter 11: Apologies

"Nanami...!" I said to her.

She narrowed her eyes and was about to shut the door on me. I stopped the door from shutting with my foot and fist. "Nanami... please listen."

At my request, she opened the door. "What do you have to say?" She asked, obviously pretending she doesn't know.

"Look, I'm so sorry for pushing you. I... should never have done that. You're my friend... I guess I was just furious. It was my fault... it was stupid. Angry or not, I should never have pushed you. And... thank you... a lot for calling the ambulance." I was panting a little since I ran to get here. "It was all thanks to your help. And I was stupid for not realizing that you were trying to help..." I told her.

She paused for five seconds. If I know Nanami, she's pretty slow at coming up with responses. "Hinata... you're not stupid at all. I forgive you for what you did. I knew you just wanted to do something about your pent up frustration. And calling the ambulance was nothing. But if I had to ask..." She made proper eye contact. "...is Komaeda alright? What happened to him?"

Without warning, tears began forming in my eyes again. "He... doesn't remember me..." I could help but cry. Why do I care so much? This is abnormal... Komaeda was annoying pretty much most of the time. But... he was... fun to hang out with... in a way. Oh, I wish asking questions can give you answers right away.

"Oh... Hinata..." Nanami had a sorry tone in her voice and hugged me. After a few seconds of silence, Nanami spoke again. "...hey... can I ask you a question?" And when I didn't respond, she continued. "You... loved Komaeda, didn't you?"

I stayed silent for a few more seconds. I can't run away from the truth. "...yes."

Nanami unwrapped her arms around me. "I'm so sorry for what happened..."

"It's my fault, anyway. I should never have stepped in. I'm so stupid..." I told her.

"No, it isn't. This is better than the outcome you would've had. Think about it: If you hadn't stepped in, Komaeda would've been dead. So, I think you still did something honorable."

"But he lost his memories, Nanami." A few tears reformed in my eyes. "He won't be able to remember either of us..."

"I know, but at least he's still alive. We could... meet the new Komaeda... and start over again." Her voice revealed that she was also devastated by this newly-acquired information.

"Y-yeah..." It hurt. Way too much. A few seconds later, I spoke. "Did they do anything about the trespassers yet?"

"Some of them."

"What do you mean by 'some of them'?"

"The others got away."

"You're... kidding."

"I wish I was."

"I'm... going to kill them for what they did to Komaeda..."

"But please be careful this time, Hinata. I don't want another incident to happen."

"Don't worry about it. I won't be reckless this time."

"Good." She smiled.

Then we both departed. I left her doorstep with a wave. I need to make it up to Komaeda and avenge him as soon as possible...

*****

A few days later, I decided to go back to the hospital to check up on Komaeda. When I got there, I headed straight to his room. When I opened the door, he was sitting on his bed with his feet dangling a few inches from the floor. He was still in his hospital gown. He looks ready for something. Maybe because I told him I was coming back.

He still had the bandage around his head. I walked up towards him. "So... you're going to be discharged now, right?"

"Yeah," He responded as he grabbed his bandage and yanked it off.

"H-hey...! Be careful...!"

"I'm fine...!" He said. "I was told to not put too much pressure on my head. As long as I do that, then I'll be fine." He's even an idiot when his memories are gone...!

"Alright..." I still wasn't too sure, but now's not the time to argue. "Do you mind changing before we go?" I asked.

"Oh? Um... yeah sure." He nodded.

"Call me back when you're finished." I told him as I exited and shut the door. Then I waited. About five minutes later, I heard his voice from the room.

"You could come in now!"

I opened the door and walked in. Komaeda was fully dressed in his normal clothing. "Are you ready to go?"

"Where are we going again?"

"It's not like I told you yet." I laughed. "You'll see."

"O-okay." He walked over to me. Was Komaeda always this trusting? He doesn't even know who I am anymore and he's following every word I say even though I refuse to tell him where we're going? I'll... just believe that this is an effect of the memory loss... Komaeda... I will return your memories if it's the last thing I do.

I grabbed his hand to lead him out of the hospital. He shouldn't go too hard on his head since he's not completely recovered yet... I'll keep that noted so I don't do anything reckless.

Once we exited the hospital, I stood confused for a bit. "What are we standing around for?" Komaeda asked.

I was silent. I kept looking around. Where do I go from here? Dammit... I should've planned ahead of time... I know I wanted to do something about those trespassers, but I have no idea where the hell they are at the moment. Maybe I could ask someone for help...? Nah, I can manage. I could just check places where they'll most likely be. It'd be a pain to drag Komaeda with me everywhere, but it's not like there's anywhere he can go. He lost his memories... so who knows exactly how much he has forgotten? I can manage with him along with me, I hope.