☼ 24

; T R U T Htechnicolor beat by OH WONDER

; T R U T H
technicolor beat by OH WONDER

Matilda took a deep breath before speaking. She was sitting on a chair in Eddie's trailer. His real trailer. The one on the right side.

The others had gathered around her and were currently watching her in anticipation. She hadn't been able to speak to anyone up until that very moment. She'd only laid in Eddie's bed, with his arm wrapped around her waist, trying to find a way to gather her thoughts.

What she'd seen felt like a scratch in her brain. Like a wound that could not be healed.

"He... showed me things. Things that haven't happened yet. The most awful things", she whispered, he eyes trailing off immediately as she thought about the pictures she'd seen.

"I saw... a dark cloud spreading over Hawkins. Downtown on fire. Dead soldiers. And this... this giant creature with a gaping mouth. And this creature wasn't alone. There were so many monsters. An... An army. And they were coming into Hawkins. Into our neighborhood. Our homes. And then... he showed me Eddie. And Steve. Robin. Nancy. And you... you were all—" Her voice broke off the same moment her lips started to curl. She looked away, trying to hide her frightened tears.

"Okay, but... he's just trying to scare you, Matilda", Eddie mumbled, looking at the floor. He sounded like he was trying to convince himself too. "Right? I mean... I mean it's not real." Matilda looked up and locked eyes with him.

"Not yet. But there... there was something else. He showed me... gates. I think. Four gates. Spreading across Hawkins. And these gates, they looked like the one outside of Eddie's trailer, but... they didn't stop growing. And this wasn't the Upside Down Hawkins. This was our Hawkins. Our home." Her voice trembled again and she felt a strong need to punch herself in the gut. Eddie looked pained, like his mind wasn't able to decide between worrying about himself or her.

"Four chimes", Max mumbled from the opposite side of the room. Matilda looked up at her, as did the others. "Vecna's clock. It always chimes four times. Four exactly." Matilda looked down again before clearing her throat.

"I heard them too." Max shook her head with a disappointed smile, seemingly angry and devastated at the same time.

"He's been telling us his plan this whole time."
"Four kills. Four gates", Lukas said, looking at Max, "End of the world."

"If that's true... he's only one kill away", Dustin stated what had become clear to all of them now. Matilda buried her face in her hands, unable to comprehend all of it.

"Oh, Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ", Eddie sighed desperately and rubbed his face as if trying to scrub himself from the nightmare.

"Try him again, try him again", Steve urged and Max walked back to the phone. They'd been trying to reach Mike and Will for the entirety of the time Matilda had spent gathering her thoughts, but nothing had worked.