☼ 28

; P R E P A R A T I O Mhouse of memories by PANIC! AT THE DISCO

house of memories by PANIC! AT THE DISCO

"Okay. I wanna run through it one more time", Nancy said while nervously walking from one end of the van to the other. "Phase one."

     "We meet Erica at the playground", Robin mumbled and Nancy nodded. Matilda kept her head down and tried not to think about Erica, Lucas and Max. Their part was the one she liked the least about the plan. It felt the most risky. It had the worst odds. "She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

     Eddie put his hand on Matilda's leg when he noticed it had started to shake. She tried not to sigh but couldn't help it. Her leg stopped shaking.

     "Phase two."

     "Max baits Vecna. He'll go after her and put her in his trance", Steve muttered, obviously not too happy about it either. Matilda shot him a sympathetic look.

     "Phase three?" Nancy tried to sound calm and collected, but she couldn't shake the fear in her voice. While she wasn't necessarily close to her, Matilda knew Nancy deeply cared about all of them and hated that she wasn't able to protect them.

     "Matilda, Eddie and me draw the bats away", Dustin stated, sounding much less excited than he had back on the meadow. Matilda noticed Steve's displeased look. 

     "Four."

     "We head into Vecna's nearly bat-free lair, and... flambè", Robin muttered, shaking one of the molotovs. Matilda scoffed in disbelief. Everything about this seemed like a nightmare, or some weird kind of trip. There was literally nothing about this that could be real.

     She looked to Eddie, who stared at his shoes with a strained look. He was real. His hand on her leg was real. The uncontrollable urge to get him out of all this alive was real. 

     "Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied", Nancy repeated the same words she'd drilled all of them to remember distinctly over the past hours. "Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

     "Got it", all mumbled. They grabbed their weapons and got up. Matilda took a deep breath before following Eddie out of the car. It was dark and cold outside, perfect time and weather for fighting an army of giant evil bats, as she thought.

     The trailer park was only illuminated by one street lamp and almost all of the windows were dark. No one in their right mind walked around this neighborhood at this hour, partly because of the murder-conspiracy, but also because it just generally was a bad place to be at night. Approaching the trailer felt like revisiting a crime-scene, which it technically was, what made the feeling slightly more intense.

     Inside of Eddie's trailer everything looked like the hour they left it. The knotted together pieces of bedding and fabric still hung from the ceiling, leading their way into the other world. The other Hawkins.