5;26

SOMETHING SHE HAD WANTED TO KNOW HER ENTIRE LIFE, and yet she felt like she would throw up. Everything yet nothing made sense. She could speak parseltongue because she was a descendant of Salazar Slytherin. She was Voldemort's granddaughter. The person who killed her brother, the one who killed Harrys' parents, the one who was back to try and ruin everyone's lives. She was related to him.

Luci Riddle — or Black, she didn't even know if they had been married, was her birth mother. Regulus Black, Sirius Blacks' brother was her birth father. She had not won the parent lottery. A crazy woman who just broke out of Azkaban and a crazy man who had been dead for years.

She couldn't help but feel a little betrayed by Lyra too. Lyra had her for a year, and then just left her on a doorstep of a family. Sirius must've been in Azkaban by then. Lyra knew Celeste wanted to know who her birth parents were and had many chances to tell her, but didn't. She loved her family, but what was so bad about her that Lyra felt the need to give her to someone else?

She could not go back to sleep after that. She couldn't say anything to anyone when she got ready for breakfast. She knew deep down that it was not a dream, just like Mr. Weasley's attack wasn't.

She skipped going to the Gryffindor table at breakfast, not wanting to have to tell them about it. She would tell Harry soon, but not in front of the others.

The moment came at break when Harry and Ron had told her and Hermione that Harry had a 'dream' that he was Voldemort and Bode.

"So that's why they killed him," Hermione said quietly, withdrawing her gaze from Fred and George, who were selling magical hats. "When Bode tried to steal this weapon, something funny happened to him. I think there must be defensive spells on it, or around it, to stop people from touching it. That's why he was in St. Mungo's, his brain had gone all funny and he couldn't talk. But remember what the Healer told us? He was recovering. And they couldn't risk him getting better, could they? I mean, the shock of whatever happened when he touched that weapon probably made the Imperius Curse lift. Once he'd got his voice back, he'd explain what he'd been doing, wouldn't he? They would have known he'd been sent to steal the weapon. Of course, it would have been easy for Lucius Malfoy to put the curse on him. Never out of the Ministry, is he?"

"He was even hanging around that day I had my hearing," Harry said. "In the — hang on ..." he said slowly. "He was in the Department of Mysteries corridor that day! Your dad said he was probably trying to sneak down and find out what happened in my hearing, but what if —"

"Sturgis," Hermione gasped, looking thunderstruck.

"Sorry?" said Ron, looking bewildered.

"Sturgis Podmore," Hermione said, breathlessly. "Arrested for trying to get through a door. Lucius Malfoy got him too. I bet he did it the day you saw him there, Harry. Sturgis had Moody's Invisibility Cloak, right? So what if he was standing guard by the door, invisible, and Malfoy heard him move, or guessed he was there, or just did the Imperius Curse on the off chance that a guard was there? So when Sturgis next had an opportunity —probably when it was his turn on guard duty again — he tried to get into the department to steal the weapon for Voldemort — Ron, be quiet — but he got caught and sent to Azkaban. ..." She gazed at Harry. "And now Rookwood's told Voldemort how to get the weapon?"

"I didn't hear all the conversation, but that's what it sounded like," Harry said. "Rookwood used to work there. ... Maybe Voldemort'll send Rookwood to do it?"

Hermione nodded, apparently still lost in thought. Then, quite abruptly, she said, "But you shouldn't have seen this at all, Harry."

"What?" he said, taken aback.