Thirty: Boat rides

Dustin

Some of my favorite memories have been at the lake house. It was where Dad taught me to swim and where I got over my fear of the dark. I was behind on a lot of things. Being bounced around foster homes for several years put me behind my peers in learning. I wasn't always so outgoing and charismatic. Not like I am now.

I have my parents to thank for that. They always saw me. Even when I tried to disappear into my shell. I'll always appreciate how much they treated me as their own despite me not being theirs biologically. Most days, I forget I'm adopted and even on the days I do remember, I never feel set a part from my family.

"Good morning!" I say, wrapping my arm around Miriam's shoulder and ruffling her curls which makes her swat my hand away.

"You're so annoying!" She grumbles, fixing her hair.

"We're literally going swimming in like two hours. Your hair's getting wet anyway."

She flips me off, grabbing the cereal and pouring herself a bowl.

"Where's Blade?" I ask my sister who points outside. I notice her silhouette on the dock, her bun an unmistakable identifying detail.

The front door closes and I see Mom walk in with a paper bag. The logo of the local bakery makes my stomach grumble.

"I went and got some pasteries. I know how you love your sweets in the morning," Mom tells us, putting the paper bag on the counter.

"You're the best!" I say, grabbing a plate. The cheese Danish is mine no doubt and I play it safe and get a cinnamon roll for Blade. "I'll bring this out to Blade."

"Wait!" Miriam exclaims. "Bring this too. I made her tea." She hands me the mug with a pink unicorn that is a childhood heirloom.

"Got it."

I carefully walk to the dock, balancing the plate with the pastries in one hand and the tea in the other. "Good morning," I greet brightly, setting down the stuff on the deck chairs.

Blade looks up at me, a smile on her face as she waves. Faith is in her arms, looking down at the water in awe.

I gesture behind me. "I brought you breakfast. The cinnamon roll is yours."

She reaches her hand out, wanting me to pull her up. I get all tingly inside when I take her hand in mine. She doesn't like being touched. That is pretty obvious, so her feeling comfortable at all to do something so casually makes me feel giddy inside.

We sit in the deck chairs, Blade feeding a small piece of her roll to Faith who smiles happily.

"How'd you sleep?" I ask, taking a bite of my Danish.

She gives me a thumbs up.

I chuckle. "Only one thumbs up?" She gives me an 'really' look, and then I ask her another question. "Are you ready to go on the boat?"

Blade's face lights up and she nods enthusiastically.

"I'm making sure dad drives super hard so you fall off the tube."

She raises her eyebrow at me, setting down her roll before pulling out her phone. I'm not getting on the tube. Her screen says.

I mimic her by raising my eyebrow at her. "Oh yes you are."

She shakes her head indignantly, but I'll be sure to change her mind.

******

I'm in a pair of swim trunks and a rash guard while Miriam wore her floral wetsuit. When Blade came down in a pair of leggings and a long sleeve shirt, Miriam offered to let her borrow a pair of shorts which Blade reluctantly accepted.

Now we're standing at the end of the dock, mom lounging on one of the chairs with Faith while Blade, Miriam and I sat on the edge. Blade looked mildly uncomfortable with her legs showing and kept them covered with a towel.

"Woohoo!" Dad hollers as he docks the boat. "You ready?" He asks excitedly.

I waste no time jumping into the boat, taking the bags the girls pass to me before helping them in.

"Such a gentleman," Mom says sweetly, sitting behind Dad.

Blade looks a bit awkward, and Miriam pulls her down with her on one of the seats.

"Selfie time!" My sister grins, pulling out her phone and making silly faces as she snaps pictures with Blade. I jump in a few, doing weird faces to make Blade laugh.

"Are you guys ready for the tube?" Dad asks, slowing the boat down.

Miriam and I jump up, but Blade remains seated, looking less excited.

"Come on!" Miriam says, grabbing her hand and tugging it. "It'll be fun!"

Blade still looks skeptical but slowly gets up, passing Faith to my mom's outstretched arms. Dad hands us life jackets and when we're all ready, we get on.

Dad starts off slow but he starts picking up speed and while Blade looks terrified, she's also laughing a lot. Dad does a sharp turn in an attempt to throw us off, and Blade screams.

"Faster, Dad!" I shout, hoping he can hear me.

Dad drives us around for a while longer, pulling out all the tricks to make us fall off but none work. Eventually, he catches us off guard with a turn and Blade falls off.

She surfaces after a couple seconds and I roll off the tube to swim over to her. I thought she'd be panicked, but instead she's laughing as the waves from the boat splash her.

"Told you it was fun," I say. Dad circles back to us and we climb onto the tube again.

Miriam shakes out her hair. "You guys ready for that picnic? I'm starved."