Twenty-Three: Worried

Dustin hasn't been in school since the fight. He hasn't texted me. He hasn't reached out at all. He had seemed upset when I left him on his couch but I figured it was because he was in pain. I mean, I don't blame him for being pissed off after what Josh did.

I hate to admit it, but I'm worried about him. He's probably more shaken up than he let on and I have a feeling he hasn't opened up to his parents about what happened.

I've been turning myself inside out with guilt since it was, in essence, my fault. Josh only wanted revenge because Dustin stood up to him in defence of me.

As I'm always being reminded, bad things happen to people who care about me.

Like I've done for the past couple days, I scan the halls for Dustin's lanky body, hoping to see him among the sea of students. I frown when I don't spot him.

I sigh, feeling deflated.

He probably isn't going to talk to me again. He probably hates me.

Classes drag on, and when English class rolls around, I find myself looking at the door in hopes of Dustin bursting in late like he does sometimes.

He doesn't, but I wasted the session, unable to focus on the lesson plan.

What if something bad happened?

What if he blames me? What if Josh attacked him again and he's in a ditch somewhere? Or in the hospital? Or in an alleyway?

By the time the final buzzer rings, I've already gone through a thousand scenarios as to why he hasn't been at school for three days. It's Friday. He hasn't been here since Tuesday.

I'm so deep in thought I don't notice someone walking next to me.

"Blade," the voice pulls me out of my downward spiral, startling me. I realize it's Dustin, and he gives me a sheepish smile. "Hey."

I barely even process my actions as I wrap my arms around him in a hug.

"You really missed me, huh?" He teases. I pull away when my brain catches up to my body, and I look away in embarrassment.

What has gotten into me?

"Sorry for ghosting you," he says, choosing to ignore me practically throwing myself at him, much to my relief.

I give him a small smile, relieved he's okay.

"Are you ready for our third adventure?"

I nod, glad to see his usual self is back.

He grins. "This way." He leads me to his car and I buckle in.

"Do we need to pick Faith up?"

How long will we take? I typed into my phone.

"We'll be done by four."

We can leave her at the daycare then.

He nods. "Guess it's just us."

He puts the car in drive. "Music." He hands me his phone and I pick a random song. I want to ask him where he has been, but he's driving so I'll have to wait util I can bombard him with questions.

A few minutes pass and Dustin pulls into a driveway. He remains silent as we walk into the building. I read a sign that said The Tiny Pottery Shop which gives me an idea of what we're doing.

"Hello," an older lady greets us from behind the counter. Behind her is a wall filled with beautiful pottery. "I'm Mira. Welcome."

Dustin gives her a smile. "Hi! I'm Dustin. I made an appointment over the phone."

Her eyes twinkle. "Wonderful! Nice to officially meet you Dustin. Right this way." She leads us to a different part of the shop. "You can put on those aprons and when you're done we can get started."

After we slide on the stained aprons, we sit at the table filled with different ceramic materials.

"We'll be painting pottery today," Mira begins, standing at the front of the room. The pieces in front of you have not been fired yet so I'll show you how to apply the color. We won't be using traditional paint, instead, I have different colored oxides. They are in the center of the table." She sits at the head of the table and instructs us on what to do.

I have a lot of fun painting a tea cup. After Mira shows us everything, I slip into deep concentration as I carefully paint flowers on the small cup.

The sudden jab in my side makes me jump, a small yelp passing my lips. I turn to Dustin who looks ridiculously pleased with himself for scaring me.

I narrow my eyes at him before continuing my painting.

We finish up a few minutes later and Mira informs us we can come by in a couple days to pick up our pieces.

"Did you have fun?" Dustin asks as he buckles in.

I nod, an elated smile on my face. I reach for his phone -which Dustin unlocked- and play music for us.

I see Dustin smiling and I give him a quizzical look to which he shrugs.

"Just glad you came."

I tilt my head to the side, feeling like there's more but I don't push. I lean back in the seat, enjoying the soft music that fills the car.

"For you," Dustin says when he drops me off at the daycare. He's holding out a box for me. He looks shy. "Don't open it until you get home. It's kinda cheesy and I don't wanna see your reaction in case you hate it."

I give him a look as I take the box from his hands. Thank you. I tell him in sign

He smiles, signing as he talks. "You're welcome."

*****

Any idea what's in the box?