Twenty: Everyone Deserves Kindess

Dustin

It might be weird, but I wasn't joking about having a list of activities that I'd like to do with Blade.
My list is labelled Adventures with Dustin in my notes app and has several activities I want to do with Blade before the school year is completed. It's not very long, but if I get a new idea I add it on.
Hopefully at least once a week we can do something together.

The idea came to me after we went to get ice cream. I thought it would be a good way to get to know each other better. Plus it's an excuse to do fun things. School ending early today because of the infestation was the perfect incentive to take her to the first thing on the list: the butterfly farm.

I didn't plan on bringing Miriam, but I know she hates school and would be pissed if I went somewhere cool without her. Besides, she's good at easing tension and might help Blade not feel out of place. Of course, I'm right. They get along like a house on fire.

I can't help but smile at how well the two girls get along. It's refreshing to see Miriam be so chatty again. After everything that happened last year, I'm happy to see my sister's high spirits returning. Blade has warmed up to her, not seeming overwhelmed by the constant chatter like the first time they met.

We finally make it to the end of the botanical garden which has the butterfly farm. It's a big screened in area with a pond, plants and of course butterflies. Lots of butterflies.

Blade looks completely awestruck as she stares on with a smile on her face.

"This is fucking awesome!" Miriam exclaims, earning a sharp look from me.

"No cursing," I tell her sternly. "But yea, fucking awesome."

Blade walks ahead, a small smile on her face as she looks around.

"I like her," Miriam says lowly into my ear, slowing her pace so she can walk with me.

"Me too."

Miriam smiles as she looks at her. "I'm glad you took a chance on her."

I pull Miriam into me. "I just hope she'll let me in."

"Just don't give up. She deserves kindness."

"We all do."

Miriam links her arm with mine as we follow behind the curly haired girl.  We catch up to Blade who didn't seem to notice we were gone, too busy staring at the koi fish in the pond.

"Hi, miss lady." Miriam plops down next to her, staring at the koi.

I snap a picture, wanting to capture these moments forever. We walk around more, looking at the different species and reading the signs that give information on them.

A butterfly lands on Blade's shoulder, so I tell her to stay still. She looks down at her shoulder and I take a picture.

It's perfect.

"Wow that's a great pic!" Miriam gushes. Blade remains where she is, smiling down at the butterfly so I get another picture just before it flies off.

"Look," I show Blade the screen and she bites her lip, looking shy.

She pulls out her phone and types into the screen. 'That's a nice picture. The butterfly is really pretty.'

"Yea but you're prettier." I didn't even notice Miriam reading over my shoulder. My sister dusts her shoulder off, grinning. "I've got that irresistible rizz."

I burst out laughing. "You're so corny!"

"Don't hate me 'cause you ain't me!"

Ridiculous that sister of mine.

It's getting late and Blade informed me that she needs to be home before four so we head back to the car.

"Did you have fun?" I ask, buckling in.

Blade nods, smiling brightly and signs Thank you.

You're welcome. I sign back.

"Now I need to learn sign language. I refuse to be left out."

I laugh. "Yea, we can learn together."

Miriam smiles. "Correct answer."

I smile to myself when I hear Blade chuckle.

Today was a success.

*****