6. Only The Brave

season 4, episode 7; it's the great pumpkin, sam winchester

HALLOWEEN, 2013

"Jenna, I really don't want to go in this," I complained to my sister as I aggressively tugged at the crop top.

"You look cute, Sofi, relax," Jenna replies, fluffing her hair without sparing me a glance. For starters, this shirt was pink. Hot pink.

"I look like Elle freakin' Woods!"

She finally spared me a glance, "Okay, and?"

"This is too pink for my liking, Jenna. I get you wanna go to this cool Halloween party because you're eighteen, but why do I have to go? Tonight is literally Thursday and we still have school tomorrow!"

"Danny and Nina are letting us stay out late tonight and letting us skip tomorrow," Jenna reasoned.

"That doesn't mean I have to!" I exclaimed. "Supernatural airs tonight and I have a geometry test in the morning, Jenna. This one I can't miss because Mr. Williams isn't going to let us retake it."

"Calm down, little sister!" Jenna says, sitting next to me and wrapping her arms around my shoulders. "Missing one episode isn't going to hurt you and neither is missing one test. We're going to this party as Brunette Biker Barbies -"

"Try saying that five times fast," I mumbled, earning an impatient sigh from Jenna.

"And we're going to have the best time. Okay? You've been the most down since Mom and Dad died and you need to loosen up."

"Future doctors don't loosen up, Jenna."

"The hot ones do," she winks.

------------------

"Now, how many razor blades did they find?" Sam asks the woman who was coincidentally cast as a different character in season 11.

Mrs. Wallace was dazed, I noticed. Her arms were crossed under her chest and hugged the sweater closer to her body. I stood next to Sam as we interviewed her while Dean looked around the kitchen. She sighed while she recalled her thoughts. "Two on the floor, one in his stomach, and one was stuck in his throat." Her voice shook and her bottom lip trembled. "He swallowed four of them. How is that even possible?" Her gaze was fixed between me and Sam and I feel terrible for the woman in front of me. We all looked toward Dean who was making loud rattling noises from beside us. We saw him hunched over, examining the inside of the oven. "The candy was never in the oven," the woman said with an incredulous look toward Dean.

The oven door closed with a loud snap and Dean stood back up. "We just have to be thorough, Mrs. Wallace," Dean told her.

I gave Dean a look that said 'what the hell?' as Sam went back to asking questions to Mrs. Wallace. "Did the police find any razors in the rest of the candy?" Sam asked.

Mrs. Wallace closed her eyes and shook her head. "No," she sighed, "I mean, I don't know. I don't think so. I just..." I looked back over at Dean, finding him beginning to kneel down next to the refrigerator. "I can't believe it. You hear Urban Legends about this stuff, but it actually happens?"

I sighed, giving her a look that I hoped looked sympathetic. "More than you might imagine." I looked over Mrs. Wallace's shoulder to Dean who was standing up again and holding up a hex bag in between his fingers, which led to Sam's next question.

"Mrs. Wallace, did Luke have any enemies?" Sam asks.

"Enemies?"

"Anyone who might have held a grudge against him," I explained, gaining her attention next.