16. this is me trying

season 4, episode 16; on the head of a pin

"Okay then," I trail off, getting out of the backseat and closing the door.

"You're sure you'll be okay?" Sam asks me, getting out from the driver's seat and Dean following.

I smile at him, "Yes, Sam, I'll be fine."

"You promise? I can always go with you—"

"I was left alone and killed a demon and saved Pamela in the process and the majority of it was without you there," I tell him. Sam gives me a look and sighs. "I promise I'll be fine. I'm just going on a beer run, Sam, I'll be back before you even knew I was gone."

I hated lying to him, but my hair was covering my ears, it was nighttime, and my lies have become more and more believable.

I reached up and rubbed his biceps affectionately. "Everything will be fine."

Sam sighed again and leaned down and pressed a kiss to my lips. A quick one because Dean cleared his throat and stared at us with his famous bitch face. "You done?" He asked. More towards Sam.

I chuckled and looked back up at Sam. I got on my toes and kissed his cheek. "Go, I'll be back soon."

He followed Dean into the lobby, carrying his bag and mine as I got into the driver's seat, adjusted the seat, and took the car out of park. I pressed on the gas gently and drove out of the motel's parking lot and out into the street.

----------------

When I got to the place I was supposed to meet Ruby, I turned off Baby and shoved the keys into my pocket. I made sure the demon blade was tucked safely into the band of my jeans and made sure that my 2022 phone was recording the voice memo before getting out of the car. I saw Ruby leaning against the tree with her arms crossed over her chest. "You came," she said, getting up off the tree.

"Don't be too surprised, Maleficent," I replied. "What do you want."

"We have to talk."

I scoffed and crossed my arms, stopping about two feet away from her. "I figured that much, talk about what?"

"Sam."

I rolled my eyes, "My God, you're obsessed, Ruby."

She took in a breath and continued to stare at me. "What makes you think that all your allegations towards me are right? Bringing back Lucifer? That's—"

"Don't act stupid with me, Ruby," I spat. "I know your plan by detail. Word for word. You're helping Lilith, yet everyone else thinks that you're against the whole "Bring Back The Devil" fiasco. But in order to do that, you need Sam because of his status in the underworld, am I right?"

Ruby stared at me with a blank expression. Before she eventually rolled her eyes and shook her head. "You're really in over your head, you know that?"

"Am I?" I furrowed my eyebrows and took a step closer to the demon in front of me. "You don't know half about me, Ruby. You think I'd tell you all this out of instinct? I know everything. I know what you're doing, I know how you think you won, I know how you die, I know how to stop the rise of Lucifer."

"How," Ruby says.

"My parents were hunters. They traveled across dimensions after they stopped the rise of Lucifer the first time. They just so happened to raise me in a dimension where this whole universe you live in, it's a TV show, and you best believe that I have that stupid thing memorized." At this point, I'm standing right in front of Ruby, staring straight into her eyes. "You are nothing compared to me."