11 || Part 1: Finding Elayuh

Thanks for reading!

Last revision: 2/26/2013

Finding  Elayuh

Blaze burned with inquisitive skepticism.  “Pardon my overly suspicious question but … why would you care whether or not this child survives?”  He had too many challenges to his reality, too many fresh wounds to ignore, and too many betrayals to be his normal, trusting self. 

In silent response, large, mesmerizing blue eyes gazed intently into his own.  As she tilted her head slightly and squinted ever so subtly, the sunlight caught them just right, resulting in a flash of effervescent green colors that disappeared as quickly as it came.  Her long feathery eyelashes seemed calming, almost hypnotic as they slowly pumped up and down. 

She understood his skepticism.  She understood his feelings.  Having read his mind and having reviewed his memories, she uniquely knew how he would react and she intuitively understood which arguments would win the day with him.  But she had no intent to influence his decision here.  She was just a messenger.

“The earth wills it so,” she answered softly and so matter-of-factly that the young warrior nearly accepted this seemingly random response without further questioning.  Blaze met her gaze and wondered why this alien woman looked at him so longingly, so tenderly.  But despite her apparent sincerity, her answer was essentially nonsensical and he didn’t understand it.  Before he could respond, she began speaking again.

“I constantly strive to be one with nature.  In return, she feeds me information that is beneficial for me and for herself as well.  I do not understand all things she asks of me and I do not understand why she wants me to be involved in your journey.  I only know that what she asks is good and right – and she wants you to save this child who can change the future of your species.  She is the key.  For the sake of your species, you must preserve her life.”

“And the earth told you that her tribe intends to sacrifice her tomorrow evening under the moon rise?” Blaze responded respectfully, but perceptively skeptically.

“Yes – just like she told me your home would be destroyed and that your pupil is still alive.”

“I see.  So the earth wants me to steal a child from its mother and father?” Blaze’s question was not sarcastic but neither was it entirely laden with faith in the magic woman’s words.

“Young one,” she began, using both of her vocal chords to patiently emphasize her words, “the father is dead.  The mother is dying.  Tribe chieftains believe these deaths are a sign from deity that the child will prove to be a curse upon their people – not just their tribe.  There is no other family who will care for the child.  One way or another, the mother will not survive.  Their fate has already been set.”  She paused, considering her words and whether or not she had left anything out.  Silence reigned for a few moments; neither Blaze nor Evelia daring to make a comment until the alien woman had finished speaking.  Her breathing, in quiet settings like this, unmistakably resembled the purring sounds of a house cat.  “However, you uniquely have the choice to determine the fate of the child.  Her fate is not yet sealed.”

“But why will you not save her yourself?” Blaze questioned – but more thoughtfully this time.  The lithe little alien creature looked upon Blaze with great patience and offered an empathetic smile that finally began reaching his heart – and she could see that reflected in his eyes.  She could feel it in the energy surrounding him.

“It is for someone of your species to save your species young one.  And the earth chose you, not me, to fight this battle.  I trust her judgment – and she alone can judge these things.  The only question is, which path will you choose to follow?”  Between her soothing, purring voice, her graceful movements, and her genuine smile, Blaze was powerless to question her sincerity or motivation.