23 || the Tournament (revised)

Thanks for reading!

Last revision: 4/24/2013

Jerron walked into the room, flanked by Vardn and four other guards, each brandishing some pretty heavy duty guns and an adequate dose of caution in their eyes.  Blaze mentally noted that each of them bore a small black star on their badges – excepting Vardn who continued to wear a grey star.  Blaze made a mental note to check the database to see what the stars signified. 

Sensing fear from the guards whom Blaze recognized as men who had fought by his side in the battlefield, he invited them to sit down: “Feel free to have a seat,” he offered, walking with his back to the soldiers and knowing that as soldiers in a potentially hostile environment, they would refuse.  But maybe it will help them relax a bit, he thought.

“Blaze,” Jerron began, completely ignoring the offer, “I want you to know that you are only being held in your chambers as a precautionary measure.  Because of the appearance of possible treason, your life would be in danger if you were to roam the ship freely.  As soon as you are absolved of any guilt at the hearings, your rank will be immediately reinstated. ”

Blaze was initially shocked that Jerron could have considered Blaze naïve enough to believe such a ploy but then he was more fully shocked when he considered that Evelia may have influenced Jerron’s thinking.  If she was behind this, Blaze was extremely impressed.  If she wasn’t behind this, Blaze was as confused as confused gets. 

He said nothing in return. 

Despite intense focus and concentration, the guards appeared to be every bit as confused over Jerron’s statements as Blaze did – although this was their second time hearing him make that proclamation today.

“Are you aware that tournaments begin today?” Jerron asked in such an innocent fashion that Blaze nearly laughed.

“Of course,” Blaze responded, “I could not have missed the announcement.  Were I a thousand light years away, I would be interested in the tournament.”

“Good,” Jerron interjected.  “All tournament weapons are provided by the guild.  What do you choose?”

“Metal staff, spear tip,” Blaze intuitively responded.  “Two small blades with sheaths for each leg and another placed across the left breast.”  He had been in tournaments before and knew that these were standard issue.

“Done.  Your first fight is in slightly less than one half hour unless the first fight goes long,” Jerron offered to Blaze’s surprise.  He thought the tournament started a few hours from now at best.  Apparently sensing Blaze’s surprise, Jerron added.  “The first few fights are among the ‘W’ bracket competitors and are among some of the best fighters from the various Orders so we decided to give them each a little more time to fight and a little more time to recover between rounds.  You will be among the first to fight in the “W” bracket.  Vardn is you opponent.  For your safety, we need to escort you to the Weapon Mastery Guild’s main hall where the simulator is currently located.”  Not asking whether or not that might be okay with Blaze, Jerron approached him with a metallic band that roughly resembled a figure eight.  Opening the cuffs, Jerron held them out for Blaze to place his hands within the cuffs and waited.  Blaze paused only momentarily, passingly worrying that this might be a ploy to further restrict his freedom before determining to trust Evelias’ instructions earlier that morning.  Once his wrists were secured within the cuffs, Blaze felt a strong burst of energy from the cuffs as their strong magnetic field engaged the metals so that they could not be separated.

“Great.  Let’s go then,” the soldier grumbled.

“Can anyone watch the tournament?” Blaze questioned, remembering his tacit promise to get Evelia freed from her room.