25 || the Emcee

Thanks for reading!

Last revision: 3/20/2013

Blaze customarily bowed towards the audience after the final blow and held that bow as the simulator transitioned the topography back into its original, blank arena.  While he held his bow and leaned upon Jerron’s long sword, audible gasps, murmuring, and a single scream echoed from the audience.  Up until this point, Blaze hadn’t realized what he had done.  In his mind, he hadn’t determined whether or not Jerron’s sword was a real weapon or a simulated weapon.  Caught up in the moment, he had forgotten to consider that gamble before making the final blow.  Now, as he turned to face Jerron, whom he expected to be slowly regaining consciousness, he discovered his error: Jerron was beheaded in reality, not just in simulation – his sword had been a real weapon.  The horror of the moment was apparent to most everyone watching: Blaze’s visible reaction was so genuine, it was clear he was not feigning his response.  In his moment of shock, Blaze’s gratification over his particular vicious win over a particularly hostile opponent was entirely lost as the stakes were raised once more.

He quickly understood that he had several problems:  First, he had been a prisoner before the tournament, on charge for possible treason in plotting the death of his only senior officer.  Then, in front of most of his fellow crewmen, he had just beheaded the next senior officer – the one who had made those treason charges and who had enforced Blaze’s imprisonment because of those charges.  Further, these crewmen were still unaware of Dr. Boyd’s original plans so they had no context within which to understand the magic woman’s dying statements that had implicated Blaze in Dr. Boyd’s death in the first place.  And lastly, Blaze intuitively understood that he needed to take control of this situation before it irretrievably took control of him. 

On top of these considerations, there were other issues that he didn’t consider – issues that could suggest that he deliberately killed Jerron: he had thrown away his safety monitor with disgust and he had noticed real wounds on his arm after being attacked with the long sword – right in front of everyone. 

Fortunately, Evelia was present, level headed, and ready to help. 

The tournament emcee stepped up to the podium where she traditionally named the victor, announced the next competitors, and made other announcements.  Despite his preoccupation with the several problems that were immediately confronting him and despite his conscious concern that he needed to take control of this situation, Blaze couldn’t help but notice that the emcee was a stunning knock-out.  However, he did fail to notice that her dazzling beauty would serve him well in this situation.  Between her show stopping appearance, her soothing voice, and her calming mannerisms, she quickly gathered the attention of the crowd and calmed them down as they focused their minds upon whatever she might have to say.  While Jerron’s gruesome corpse was being covered by simulator personnel, she gathered her composure and began to speak.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we terribly regret the circumstances we find ourselves in and apologize to you for having to observe this tragic accident.”  She paused as she visibly made efforts to retain her self control and then, turning towards Blaze, who largely remained in shock, she added, “and we apologize to Blaze as well.  It appears clear to me … that  your competitor managed to disable your protective suit and your safety monitor and that he managed to smuggle an authentic weapon into the simulator contrary to all of our established rules.”  Another pause allowed the emcee to master her emotions again and gave the audience a moment to process her words before continuing.  “Was the weapon enhanced?” she asked with genuine sincerity.  “It looked enhanced to me.”

Grateful that he wasn’t being thrown from the frying pan into the fire but unaware of Evelia’s influence upon the emcee, Blaze nodded in acknowledgement and said with a voice loud enough to be heard by a good deal of the audience as well as the emcee: “yes … it delivered a powerful electrical charge that nearly knocked me out.”  He wanted to say something more about his upcoming hearing, Dr. Boyd, his regret for using Jerron’s sword, and perhaps a host of other things but his tongue was tied – so much for taking control over the situation.  As he turned over a few things he might say, he held the sword out handle first and approached the emcee to deliver the weapon to her.