7 || Poison at the Pond

Thanks for reading!

Last revision: 2/15/2013

 Poison at the Pond

She was a sensual being.  In tune to everything that was happening around her, she made herself an extension of nature itself.  It had taken time to attune herself to this new world but she was becoming one with it and with that endeavor, she was finding peace she had not known on her home planet – peace she had always intuitively wanted, unconsciously needed, and keenly anticipated. 

Sad, she grimaced inwardly, to have been so lost in my own world that I become one with another planet so far away.  Here, she sensed the energy of every living creature around her.  Here, she more keenly noticed when moisture passed into the pores of her skin.  Here, she felt more subtle changes in the movement of air around her.  Here, she felt how strongly the world buzzed with life.  People who lived on earth might refer to her home planet as a long string of islands encapsulated by vast swaths of desert-like, sandy beaches.  Before, her home planet felt full of energy and life to her: 70% water, her planet’s continents were primarily beaches; its mountainous areas boasted tons of foliage and greenery of every sort but most of her people lived along the sandy beaches where plants and trees and flowers were less abundant.  Even with all of those factors considered, her home planet held no amount of life and energy that compared to the area she lived in now.  In retrospect, her previous home almost seemed dead – that is, compared to the energy she keenly felt here.  It invigorated her; it enlivened her senses; it left her buzzing with excitement.

But she was very lonely.

Visits with Dr. Boyd, the old man who looked decades younger than he was, were enjoyable for the purposes of having company but lately, even those visits were becoming less enjoyable.  Full of questions, the scientist was void of meaningful answers; full of aspirations, he seemed to lack direction; and full of ideas, he seemed to be missing purpose.  It was clear to the magic woman that Dr. Boyd felt that he was doing the right things; however, even without the benefit of reading his mind, he had told her enough of his activities to guarantee banishment from her people were he to live among them.  This, she was keenly aware of; this, she knew quite deeply.  After all, she had her secrets too.

She sensed energy shifting.

Humans.  Two.  One injured – badly.  Neither was a local native; neither was Dr. Boyd.  One was carrying the other; both were deliberately making their way towards the magic woman.  Torn between her interminable curiosity, her desire to help anyone in need, and her desire to keep this spot holy and untainted by outside influences, she hesitated.  She compromised to allow Dr. Boyd to meet her here – and it was no small compromise – but he had something she desperately needed – something she could get from no one else – something she could not live without.  Ultimately, nature itself must decide whether or not to bring people here – it was not her spot after all – she had just found it and recognized it for what it was: a holy place, a place where nature’s energy was magnified far beyond what it was in other places, a place where she could listen to what the earth itself had to say. 

And now, it seemed to say that it was allowing these two humans to come here.

She crouched behind some bushes to get a good look at them and to size them up before making a decision as to what she might do next.

… v . .vvvhvvv . . v …

“We are not far Evelia … hold on … be strong.   Those plants should be close by.  I cannot remember their name but I will recognize them.  They grow by these little ponds of water and I can see the water now.  They have jagged red tips and purplish stems – they look so different from anything you have seen before that you cannot miss them.  Do not worry.  I will get you some.”