32 || Befriending Toka

Thanks for reading!

Latest Revision: 5/2/2013

“So you are from Order 4?”

“Technically, we referred to them as Units so I was from Unit 4,” Toka corrected in his habitual patronizing, academic tone.  Sometimes, like right now, he tried very hard not to come across as arrogant but it was such a part of him that he really couldn’t hide it well - not nearly as well as he was at hiding the black star on his insignia.

“Right,” Blaze answered.  “I am still getting used to that.  We only referred to ourselves as ‘the Order’ and we really had no idea that there were other Orders or Units out there.”

“Yes, you were unaware that you were only one of Dr. Boyd’s several social experiments,” Toka lazily answered, trying to sound engaged in the conversation but not doing a particularly good job.  This may very well have been the most important conversation he had had in decades but his skill in politics and public relations were admittedly pretty pathetic.  Like Blaze, he was very comfortable with more hostile activities.  But seeing Blaze’s clear interest in what he was saying, Toka capitalized on the situation.  “Were you aware of Dr. Boyd’s social experiments with the other Units?”

“No,” Blaze admitted.  To be truthful, he really didn’t know what social experiments were.  He could guess at the meaning but this was far afield of his expertise.

“Dr. Boyd wanted to create the ideal world.  History is replete with communities of people trying to live the ideal society, trying to make their beliefs in utopia reality – but none of them have been able to live their peaceful lives without interference from the outside – at least not for more than a generation or so.  Dr. Boyd saw that opportunity and decided to take it by the horns so to speak.”

“But Dr. Boyd was only about 60 … perhaps 70 years old.  How could he possibly hope to create the ideal society …”  Blaze’s line of thinking was so far off that Toka had to interrupt him just to get him back on tract. 

“Actually, Dr. Boyd was well over two and a half centuries of age,” Toka informed Blaze.  Confused, Blaze wrinkled his brow in disbelief.

“But that is not possible.  That would make him one of the first survivors of the Third Holocaust,” Blaze began.  “Their lifespans were …”

“Not what you’ve been told,” Toka answered simply.  That quickly trapped Blaze’s attention and brought him back to his normal, teachable self.  As the light bulb of understanding began to glow on Blaze’s countenance, Toka continued.  “Genetic manipulation has allowed people to live much longer life spans if they can afford the treatment,” he explained.  “That is where Unit 4 became crucial to Dr. Boyd’s plans.”

“I am not following you,” Blaze confessed.  Captain of the ship or not, Blaze was more than aware that there were a lot of things he did not know about this crew and where they came from.

“Okay, let me backtrack a little,” Toka offered.  “Dr. Boyd had one very large unit after the Third Holocaust.  He spent many years interviewing people to learn their strengths and their weaknesses so that he could place them in communities that would be relatively like-minded.  Meanwhile, he began building the Order compound that you saw destroyed not too long ago.  He appointed everyone to live in a particular community and then informed them that they would only be separated for a few years while they completed various tasks.  However, after a couple of years passed, he staged some massive explosions outside of the compound – he was a great chemist you know?”  Being the grammarian he was, Blaze immediately noticed this common expression found from the only two men from Unit 4 that Blaze was aware of.  He made a mental note but showed no expression whatsoever.