14 || Kidnapped!

Thanks for reading! 

Last Revision: 4/24/2013

“Blaze?”  The doctor’s eyes seemed heavily laden with fatigue and worry, his face scrunched as he tried to focus on the young warrior’s face, and his body seemed sore as he tried to sit up.  “It’s great to see you.  We sent a team to find you and Evelia.  We could not leave some of our greatest teammates behind.”  By the time this sentence ended, he could see that Blaze didn’t look very happy and swiftly determined to change the course of conversation.

“Are you alright Blaze?  You look under a great deal of stress …”  Then, looking around the sparse campsite, he spotted Evelia and the magic woman.  “Wonderful!  Evelia – how are you?”  And then, looking around further, he asked with genuine puzzlement: “Where is everyone else?  How did we get separated?  How did you find me?  What happened?”

A slew of questions lingering in the air, Blaze looked upon Dr. Boyd with great confusion.  How could he possibly have forgotten what happened the night before?  Why would he be addressing Blaze and Evelia with such apparent enthusiasm?  Were the soldiers really just sent to find Blaze and Evelia to make sure they were okay?  Was last night a huge mistake?

I gave him temporary amnesia, a soft voice instructed Blaze.  I want to see if he will voluntarily offer information, she continued.  Please let me speak before you respond.

Unsure how to answer Dr. Boyd’s inquiries anyway, Blaze readily consented, glancing over at the alien woman and nodding his head.  Then, seeking more support, he looked over at Evelia to see what she might suggest. 

But she was a blank slate as well.

“Dr. Boyd,” the magic woman purred with her hypnotic, harmonious voices.  “You are safe.  Do not concern yourself with these worries for a few moments.  We have some questions that you can probably help us with.  We watched the explosion the other day.  How many natives are there and are they likely to attack again?”

“I don’t know how many there are,” he began, “we estimate at least ten thousand on this island but it is difficult to tell.  The cube has a hard time discerning humans from similarly large creatures so we can only really make a rough estimate based upon clusters of people.  As to whether or not they may attack again …”  He seemed to be tripping over his words now, leaving the magic woman feeling quite stressed.  The only visible indication of her feelings was the twitching of the tip of her tail – which was not clearly in the venerable doctor’s field of vision.

“Why are you unsure?” she asked.  After some pause, he continued.

“I was not expecting their attack until sometime later – perhaps a month or two – so they caught me by surprise.  I have a secret team of men trained in warfare history however – some are looking for you; others are guarding the ship – but they tell me that we probably should not expect another attack for a while.”  He paused again for quite some time.  “That said, we don’t know for sure so we’ve been taking precautions.”

“No contractions,” Blaze blurted spontaneously, without the slightest conscious effort to interrupt.  Some habits die hard and this detail was grating on him.

The magic woman looked at the young warrior with an expression crossed between amusement and annoyance.  Realizing his mistake, Blaze quickly apologized and looked towards the ground, noticeably biting his lower lip with some degree of frustration.  Dr. Boyd’s sloppy speech had offended him from time to time when he lived in the Order.  Now, under the current circumstances, Blaze was even more heavily offended and was having a hard time keeping his temper under control.