Guns And Laces: Chapter 5

Guns And Laces

The Journey Begins

Chapter Five

"I will burn you, inch by inch, if you so much as think of harming her. I am restrained only as long as she's breathing. After her, I don't guarantee you shit."

-Angelo

The clock struck six and my eyes averted to the woman sleeping soundly in my bed. I leaned forward and brought my hand near her face but stopped.

The last time I touched her, she had given me her consent.

Right now, she is sleeping. And it's when a person is asleep is that they are the most vulnerable; exposed.

I brought my hand back to my side and leaned back in the chair, my eyes still fixated on her sleeping form.

Her face was relaxed, careless like a baby, and her lips were slightly parted from the center. The rhythmic rise and fall of her chest was peaceful enough to lull me to sleep but for some reason, I did not want to sleep.

I did not want to blink away even for a second.

Rheannon passed out almost as soon as she looked at me. Now, I would have taken offense had I not seen the chloroformed cloth in that bastard's hand.

I knew that I was staring at her as if I was staring at her for the very first time. And I remembered exactly how I stared at her when she had entered the hospital room, behind the doctor, dressed in pale blue scrubs with her hair neatly tied in a ponytail.

She was beautiful then, and she is beautiful now.

I remember how her sole focus was on the clipboard in her hand; the clipboard that had my medical history clipped on it. She was reviewing it page after page. Her eyes never once looked up; not until she heard the doctor addressing me.

And it was in that moment that she looked up, at him first, and then slowly averted her eyes to me.

Despite everything that had happened a night before, I could not help but admire her soft features, especially her eyes.

I had never seen that color before; and something in my gut told me that I will forever recognise this pair of eyes. Even among the heaviest of crowds.

Rheannon did not treat me like that doctor did; with respect, fear, and caution. No. Instead, she tested my patience, she told me things exactly how they were. She was fearless, and she did not take my bullshit.

You're a patient, and that too with a broken leg and ribs, for goodness sake! What could you possibly do in this state?

I remember her laughing at me right after I tried intimidating her.

She irritated me; annoyed the absolute fuck out of me.

Though I did know that I was mostly agitated because I could not control her, and she did not fear me.

Probably that's why I said those awful things to her. However, surprisingly enough, I did not want her to leave and when she did, I hated being there even more. And that is why, I got the doctor to discharge me earlier than I was supposed to.

And I thought that, that was the last I saw of her.

But then I saw her again, when I was leaving and I watched as she quickly walked out of there as soon as she saw me.