Guns And Laces: Chapter 6

Guns And Laces

The Journey Begins

Chapter Six

"You'll be able to catch him over this beautiful, dead fuckin' body. But even then, he will be the one coming after you."

-Rheannon

“So, are you going to tell me?” He asked as I placed a carton of milk inside the shopping cart.

I remained quiet, only hearing his calm and calculated footsteps behind me, and walked to the next aisle.

After a couple of minutes, I finally grew tired of his never ending questions and sighed quietly before turning around.

I nearly gasped as our bodies slightly brushed - I guess I did not realise how close he was until I turned - and looked up at him. “Angelo, for the love of God, stop asking questions you wouldn’t want to hear answers to.”

“I would, but I am not a believer.” His response was prompt.

He grabbed a bag of potato chips from the shelf beside us and squeezed it open, “I deserve at least one honest answer from you.” He said and popped a chip in his mouth.

“Why?” I asked in a calm voice.

“I came here for you.” He answered and briefly looked over my shoulder.

I followed his gaze to see a few people giving us weird looks. Almost judging us - or should I say the closeness between us in a public place.

From their angle, we must have looked like a couple who were trying to sort their differences.

I quickly shook off that absurd thought.

“You did not come here for me.” I told him as soon as I turned to face him, once again.

He tilted his head to the side and I felt the corner of his lips tugging upward, very slightly.

“You’re so very clueless for a person who works at a strip club for a living.” He retorted.

I placed my hand over his mouth, and gave him a stern look, “Do not speak like that in public.”

His eyes went to my hand and then back at me, I instantly retracted my hand back to my side, when he replied, “Since when are you afraid of the public?”

I pushed him away, gently, with my hand and turned around; feeling a slight pang in my heart due to the obvious choice of his words.

Even then I knew that he was trying to get a reaction out of me - or should I say an answer.

But that did not soothe the sting on my heart.

I felt his long, thin fingers wrap around my elbow and he turned me around, “Don’t turn your back on me, Rheannon.” The tone of his voice had a certain edge to it.

“Why shouldn’t I?” I retorted.

“Because you only turn your back when you know I am stating facts.” His answer was quick and calculated.

My lips remained sealed after that, and for the rest of my grocery shopping, we both stayed quiet.

When we reached the billing station, I started to place the things on the counter in front of us, and a while later, I saw him extending a matte black card in the cashier’s direction from my peripheral vision.

Just as the cashier was about to take the card from him, I snatched it from his hand and turned around with my jaw clenched, “Angelo, you’re walking on thin ice here.”