Guns And Laces: Chapter 9

Guns And Laces

The Journey Begins

Chapter Nine

"I will burn you, inch by inch, if you so much as think of harming her. I am restrained only as long as she's breathing. After her, I don't guarantee you shit."

-Angelo

I slammed my hand on the steering wheel and closed my eyes in frustration.

What was it that she was hiding?

I ran a hand through my hair in distress as my thoughts travelled back to the events that had unfolded this evening.

I could sense the tension rolling off her in waves as soon as we had entered the party. I watched her as she surveyed the hall, and the people inside, and became nervous, all of a sudden.

It was surprising to me as I had never seen her nervous of all the emotions.

I’d even asked her if she was okay and she had lied through her teeth, then and there.

And then she spilled the champagne on the Mayor’s wife.

And well, fuck.

Everything went downhill from there onwards. Masie Adams, the Mayor’s wife, was a fuckin typical snob.

She was Greek but settled in New York when she fell in love with Raymond Adams, the mayor, and they got married within a year.

She had a habit of making a big deal out of every little thing. She’d go to any length to prove her point including playing dirty.

Especially playing dirty.

Rheannon, instead of apologising, stayed rooted to her spot and frozen in shock. I had instantly grabbed her arm and threw a half-assed apology on her behalf and walked her out of there.

I literally had to drag her on our way out, since she was lost in her own world, to avoid causing a scene but mainly because Rheannon wanted to lay low.

But without anyone one of us realising, she had drawn all the attention towards her in that moment.

More than she did when she had walked inside the hall alongside and me and was captured by many pairs of eyes.

I remember she had pressed herself gently to my side, unknowingly.

I had parked on the side of the road about some thirty minutes ago and was only a few minutes away from my condo. Something did not feel right in my gut.

Leaving her behind in that state did not feel alright.

I sighed and closed my eyes after resting my head against the headrest.

The kiss clouded my thought.

That damned kiss.

I could die to feel those lips again.

With that thought, I started to drum my fingers on the steering wheel, a habit that I had developed whenever something exasperated me.

“Fuck it.” I muttered and revved the engine before I took a U-turn.

I cared about nothing than my need to see her, as soon as possible.

She can get mad later.

I drove as fast as I could back to her house and within 10 minutes, I was once again standing outside her apartment building.