Guns And Laces: Chapter 20

Guns And Laces

Halfway Through

Chapter Twenty

They did not take me home.

I should not have come to the school today. Dad saw me but quickly averted his gaze as soon as I started to walk towards him. Sierra came out but before I could call her, he swiftly lifted her in his arms and almost ran towards his car.

That broke my heart.

He was supposed to be my father.

Heartbroken, I walked away from the school parking lot and pulled the hoodie over my head. It had stopped raining since two days and parents had started to come out with their children after being on near house arrest due to the heavy rainstorm for five days.

I think they must have noticed me and called the security who threw me out thinking I was a potential harm to the safety of the children.

Me, a twelve year old, who could not even protect herself from all the harm that had come and was yet to come.

I sighed and looked around only to halt outside a bakery. The aroma of freshly baked pastries and doughnuts made my stomach growl in protest but I stayed planted to my spot. The door that opened and closed as people were in and out of the bakery only added to my torture as the feeling of hunger intensified.

Sighing I went in the alley beside the bakery and sat down. I fished out the last packet of cookies from the pocket of my hoodie and sighed again.

“What will I do after this?” I mumbled to myself.

Afternoon progressed into evening and then eventually night came. I was about to get up and leave when I heard a door opening in the distance and some voices followed.

Curious, I followed the sound that took me to the other end of the small alley and saw some workers dragging a trolley filled with leftover food towards the dumpster. My eyes widened as I thought about how they’d waste that much amount of food.

An idea struck my head and I waited quietly for them to leave. As soon as they did, I dashed towards the huge dumpster and stood on the small cemented stair beneath it to look inside. Ignoring the weird smell, I quickly took out a handful of doughnuts and cookies before looking around to make sure that no one was there and stuffed them in my hoodie pocket.

I ran from there as fast as I could when I heard the voices again from behind the door. I could not get caught.

After a few minutes, I finally stopped to catch my breath and looked around to see a deserted building. It was under construction and from where I was standing, there was no one there.

Maybe I can take shelter here tonight.

With that thought, I quickly ran inside and went to the far back. It looked like it was abandoned as so many stuff was discarded and had rust on it. I remembered our science teacher telling us the process of corrosion.

And the thought made me suddenly sad and seized my appetite. I won’t be able to go to school ever again.

For the next few days I hid in that building until one night some drunk men stumbled inside and found me. They tried to touch me - my body in particular - which made me uncomfortable so I sprinted from there as fast I could. They were drunk so they could not follow as fast and after a few minutes, I finally lost them.