Chapter 19

C O L L I N S

We got to the beach in 30 minutes. On the way there we were jamming to some Lana Del Ray and having a good time on the long trip.

"I GOT THAT SUMMERTIME, SUMMERTIME SADNESS!" I screamed the lyrics out. Luke looked at me like I was a weirdo because of my beautiful voice, but I didn't care.

"Hey do you have my sunglasses in here? I think I left them here last time I was in your car." I asked, raising my hand up to block the sun that was shining brightly in my face.

"Uh, yeah. They should be in the glove compartment." Luke said, getting out of the car.

I opened it up, moving my legs out of the way so the door wouldn't bump them, and searched around. I pushed some papers and notepads aside, searching for the glasses.

My fingers brushed against metal and I wrapped my fingers around it, pulling them out.

Well, they were sunglasses but they weren't my Oakley ones. These ones had a violet frame, clearly girl glasses, instead of my normal black framed ones. I frowned and slid them back in.

Then my stomach did a sick turnover from the thought that crossed my mind. What if they're Alison's? I found a shirt of hers in Luke's bedroom, and now, possibly her sunglasses in Luke's car? This was just too much for me.

I jammed them back in, rustling the papers around to hide them back in.
I got out of the car hesitantly and walked to where Luke was standing, only a little more distant.

"Couldn't find them?" He looked at me, cocking his head to the side.

"Uh, no. They weren't in there." I looked away.

"Oh, well they might be in the back. I can go check if you want." He offered, jabbing his thumb back to where the backseat was.

"No, it's okay. I don't need them that bad." I shrugged.

"Okay, so you ready to go to the beach!" Luke exclaimed. He grabbed the beach blanket and chairs that were stored in the trunk.

"Yeah, let's go!" I said, only a bit less energetic than Luke.

I picked up the lunch basket and my floppy hat from the trunk, joining Luke in the walk to the sandy, summer land beyond us.

As soon as we laid down the blanket and were sitting on the sand, Luke knew something was up.

"What's up with you? You've been acting weird all day."

"Nothing. I'm fine." I shrugged, lying.
But he obviously didn't believe me.

"Seriously Col, what are you thinking? You know you can tell me anything." He tried again.

"Seriously Luke, it's nothing." I replied harshly. I didn't want to continue talking about this and he was making it worse.

"Can we just not talk about it right now? Please?" I begged.

"Okay." He simply said. I guess he didn't want to continue this either if he wasn't going to get anything out of me.

"Let's go swim!" I stood up, brushing off the sand.

"Sure," Luke got up. He bit his lip, which I admit is one of my favourite things he does. Along with the fact that he tugged on his lip ring. "But we're playing tag. And you're it." He smiled, "tagging" me a little too hard which caused me to fall over.

"Hey!" I yelled, laughing as I tumbled into the sand.

I heard him giggle and he bolted away from me and headed towards the water in a weird girly run.