19. longing

AUGUST 2006

They dragged her in a large room where a few scientists were gathered

They dragged her in a large room where a few scientists were gathered. In the middle of the room, was sat down on a chair a man. A man she didn't recognize but still, her breath hitched in her throat.

The sight of him was unfamiliar but immediately, when she saw him strapped to this chair, the very same chair she had been strapped to five weeks ago, she felt her heart drop to her toes and her world stopped spinning around her to start to revolve about that stranger trapped in this chair.

She didn't know him, she had never seen him before and she didn't even think about how odd it was but she already felt so much for that man.

She looked to her right and questioned Karpov with her eyes. He only answered her with a shrug and a smirk.

She glanced back at the man. He was looking at the void in front of him as scientists would come and go around him. And, as if he knew she was up there, he looked up and locked his eyes to hers. Once he saw her, she saw his lips slightly part as his eyes widened a little, as if he recognized her.

She frowned her eyebrows, wondering if this man knew how and how and why didn't she remember him.

He looked like he didn't want her here. For barely a second, he put his guards down and she could read every single thought of his in his eyes. He was screaming at her to go, he was begging her to go away. But then, he clenched his jaw and looked away. She was a bit disappointed he hadn't done more to tell her what exactly was going on.

Her heartbeat started to increase when they started to attach the man to his chair. She frowned her eyebrows, a bad feeling of déjà vu. Why was he letting them do ? He looked unbothered, like he was been through this a million times. Maybe he had.

"What are you doing to him ?" she asked.

"See, Rose, this is how the Winter Soldier is born. You understand, he just got out of ice and the first thing he did was ask for you"

She kept her eyes locked onto the Soldier as she took in what Karpov just told her. The Soldier asked about her, he worried about her. But it still didn't help as to who that man was and why he knew her.

She didn't know that man but Karpov talked about this like she was supposed to have any idea of who that man was. Maybe, she was. Maybe he was looking exactly for that, for a proof that she remembered. And that meant that she had done something wrong and that man had something to do with it

"So, you understand I have to fix him. Rose, you have weaken my greatest Soldier"

"Just-"

She was cut off by the sound of a buzzing machine and she immediately looked at the Soldier's position to see what was happening. He was shaking in his seat, breathing heavily. He slammed his eyes shut and she wish she could do the same but her eyes were like glued to the horrific scene.