87. small death

a/n : GUESS WHO JUST CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD ??! Me, lmao. Sorry for not updating but so much has been going on!! I graduated high school and got into law school which I'm actually so excited about. I hope all of you had an amazing summer, just like I did, and I hope you didn't forget all about this story because I really want to start updating regularly now.
That being said, I hope you will enjoy this new chapter. I'm not sure if this was worth the wait (probably not lmao but whatever) love you all 💗💗

— —

Bucky was quick to drive to the hospital and he knew he'd probably broken more than one law but he didn't care one bit. He just had to see her.

He barged into the hospital, walking past the nurses' office since he remembered Hailey's room number exactly. He tried his best not to run through the corridors and even almost got lost, this building was huge.

But when he got to Hailey's room, he found her talking with Andrew. He stood in the doorframe, not knowing if he should knock or just walk away and wait.

When he came here, he had a straight idea of what he wanted to say but now that he was looking at her, his mind was blank and he found himself almost paralysed.

Hailey looked over at him and her lips parted in surprise as she noticed him standing there. Seeing her attention get pulled away, Andrew frowned and looked over his shoulder to the one man he never expected to see again.

"Oh my god, I didn't expect you until... like, two hours" Hailey said, frowning as she stood up from the bed.

"Yeah, I..." Bucky sighed, "I just... yeah, I needed to see you as soon as possible"

"Oh... yeah, alright" she slowly nodded before glancing back at Andrew, "Andrew... please?"

Andrew took a deep breath before nodding slowly. "Sure, I'll leave you two alone"

Andrew avoided Bucky's eyes as he walked out of the room, finally leaving Bucky and Hailey alone. Bucky looked at Hailey who was looking down, scratching nervously her arms.

Bucky took a step forward but her eyes snapped up to glare at him, immediately taking a step back to be as far away as possible from him. Bucky sighed but understood her gesture so he said nothing about it.

"Look, I... I'm sorry, I am so sorry" Bucky muttered.

Hailey's glare softened but quickly Bucky noticed how her throat tightened, meaning she was holding back tears.

"I messed up so bad and it kills me that it took me three months to —"

"Took you three months?" she repeated, scoffing, "You didn't take three months, you went to jail and I was called to come bail you out. So no Bucky, you did not do anything. I'm the one who came back"

"I know that and I know you didn't have to so... thank you. For still showing up. I know I don't deserve this"

"You're right, you don't" she agreed with a small nod of her head.

"Look, I really am trying here, alright? You know I'm not very good with words and- and communicating" he said nervously.

"Oh yeah I know that" she scoffed, "Last time we had a fight, you ran off and I didn't see you again for three months. So yeah, I know"

"Hailey, I know I fucked up bad when I left. Trust me, I know that. But I am here right now and I'll fight, okay? I'll fight for us"

"Oh because you think there's anything left to fight for?" she raised her eyebrows.