★ Thirteen ★

CONSTANCE BANE

"And a little mascara," Ophelia muttered under her breath as she started applying mascara to my top lashes.

I flinched every time she got too close to my eyeball and every time she would chastise me and tell me to hold my head still.

Lela was standing behind me, putting in rollers in my hair while trying to convince me that this would make a huge difference.

"Lela?" I said slowly so as not to disturb Ophelia who was still trying to apply the mascara while I blinked from fear every time she neared the mascara wand to my eye.

She only hummed and continued wrapping my hair around the roller. Attaching it to my head with a clipper, I winced when she pulled a strand of hair that I couldn't locate so I could soothe the sting.

"You know the curls won't hold, right?" I sighed in relief when Ophelia closed the mascara bottle and took out something else from the pile next to her.

"You've told me that I think...maybe four times in the past 15 minutes, maybe more, darling." She spoke through a clip that she had in between her teeth, the words coming out muffled.

"I know," I sighed and scratched my thigh. "But your efforts are gonna go to waste 'cause my hair doesn't hold curls."

"And I'm a hairdresser, don't underestimate my abilities. I have to make this work." She clipped another roller to my head and started working on the front pieces of my hair.

For the past two hours, the girls have been working on my 'makeover.' I'm not sure why it was so important but they told me that it was my first concert with them and that it was a very special occasion and I needed to look hot.

Ophelia has been working on my makeup on and off for the past hour and when Lela came back from work, she showered and immediately jumped on doing my hair which I rejected at first but she insisted that it would look good and that she wanted me to feel good today on stage.

After I reluctantly accepted, my legs and eyebrows were waxed for me even though I knew how to do it, and then they took out a whole box of nail polish that they had under a bed and started picking out different colors that they think would go with my outfit.

In the end, they chose a dark purple and painted my nails and when Ophelia yanked my socks off, I immediately hid my feet but she just yanked them back to herself and placed them on her own lap, painting my nails very carefully.

When the color had finally dried, Belle pulled out a clear glitter polish and took Ophelia's place, panting the glitter over the purple color as Ophelia chose a blue color for herself and started painting her own.

All the while, Lela wasn't even remotely ready and we had to leave in two hours.

"Are you going to get ready?" I tilted my head back to look at Lela when she wasn't doing anything to my hair.

"Yeah, lemme just finish this last piece..." She grabbed the last piece hanging in front of my face and rolled it up diagonally which apparently created a nice form when everything was ready to be taken off.

"Can I get some wa-."

But before I could finish, a bunch of hairspray was sprayed on my hair, getting into my nose as I started to cough my lungs out.

"A little warning would've been nice." I rasped out as Lela patted my back, not particularly helping with anything.

"Go get us some water, darling." She smiled at me as I stood up and I nodded, walking over to the bedroom door and opening it, bumping straight into Micah.