☆ Twenty ☆

CONSTANCE BANE

"Just..." He let out a breath but continued stroking my hair as I lay next to him, my nose buried in his shoulder as tears cascaded down my face.

"You don't have to say anything," I whispered back, closing my eyes as I tried to forget about everything.

I had called the hospital, wanting to find out what I was supposed to do now.

I've never had to do this before, my mom taking care of my dad's death so I knew a little bit of the procedure, but not enough.

But when I called them, they told me that they didn't know the cause of her death.

Ms. Sally, the main nurse that was taking care of her, said that it might have been the cancer but it wasn't so progressed that it would have been the primary reason for her death.

They would have let my mom and her immediate family, which was me, know about the risks of death but she was not even close to that.

The cancer was at a Stage 2 and the treatments were working well.

Ms. Sally had said that they had been working on her blood pressure for the past few days and it had started getting a little better until around 8 PM which is the time that she passed away.

Everything she was saying to me was going into one ear and out the other, I couldn't understand anything that she was saying.

The only thing I knew was that I needed to come in tomorrow morning to the hospital to sign some papers, which would allow them to run tests on her dead body to find the cause of her passing.

A couple of hours after that, it finally hit me that I was now officially parentless. I don't know if I could call myself an orphan, I am of legal age, but I don't have my parents anymore.

I don't have any family, no parents, siblings, cousins, nothing.

I was all alone. I could never go to my mom for her comfort anymore, I could only go to her house and look through the photo albums.

She had so many photo albums from when I was growing up. She has a whole bookshelf dedicated to all the photo albums and loose pictures that were stacked on those shelves.

I would probably stop by there sometime this week to pick some things up.

I wanted some of the old stuff that I kept there, my clothes, toys from my childhood, and some drawing that I had kept there when I went over.

So many things.

I don't know what would happen with the house, though. All the mortgages were paid, and she had no loans left over for me to pay so this house is for me to decide what to do with it.

I was informed that in a week's time I was supposed to visit her lawyer so she could read me my mom's will which had to be done sooner or later, which I was dreading.

I wasn't sure how I was going to go through all of these procedures on top of the shows that we had to do and then also keep a smile on my face while performing.

That was going to be one of the hardest things that I will ever have to do in my life, pretend that I'm doing okay when my mom is dead.