★Forty-five★

CONSTANCE BANE

The last 39 hours and 28 minutes of the drive from New York to California have been full of happiness, crying, worrying, and close to falling asleep on the road. 

I made it my personal goal to stop as few times as possible, only pausing my "road trip" to get my gas filled, update my music playlist, sit on benches to catch the beautiful views, and grab a couple extra snacks.

But now that I was finally arriving, seeing the "Welcome to California" sign on my left, I let out a sigh of relief that I was making it on time with just 40 minutes to spare. 

I rolled my window down, sticking my arm out the window to feel the breeze of the evening air hitting my palm, wiggling my fingers to feel the pressure as I increased the car's speed just a touch. 

The reality of what was about to hit me hadn't caught up to me yet so I decided to enjoy the last moments of peace and joy before I was forced back into the daunting reality. 

Pressing the brake to slow down the car, I took a turn at the exit sign and turned on the radio, feeling the breeze course through my hair as I sang loudly along with Beyoncé. 

Got me looking so crazy, my baby
I'm not myself, lately I'm foolish, I don't do this
I've been playing myself, baby, I don't care
'Cause your love's got the best of me

The forest of trees on either side of the road added shade to the road and parts of the setting sun shone through the cracks, adding a beautiful orange hue to the scenery. 

I could've sworn I saw a squirrel climbing up a tree branch, but before I managed to take a good look out the side of the window, I was taking another turn in the opposite direction.

Got me hoping you'll page me right now, your kissGot me hoping you'll save me right nowLooking so crazy in love'sGot me looking, got me looking so crazy in love

Half an hour later, I was parking the car in front of the diner and practically slapping away the tears that were rolling down my cheeks. 

My stomach was tied up in knots and I tried to tell myself that I was only seeing Zayn. It's just Zayn. 

But that wasn't helping.

Leaning my forehead against the steering wheel in front of me, I closed my eyes and breathed in and out as I tried to slow my breathing down. 

I listened to people's lives continue outside the confines of my car, people having exciting conversations as they passed by or a motorcycle speeding past me as I tried to keep a panic attack from arising at the familiarity of it all. 

I considered staying like this forever right up until a knock sounded on my window which I ignored, convincing myself to believe that someone bumped into the car until a series of several other knocks followed. 

Raising my head from the steering wheel, I squinted my eyes at the figure standing outside the car with their tattooed arms crossed in front of their chest, the sleeves of the black button-up scrunched up at the forearms and I immediately wanted to hide again. 

Tilting my head farther up, I caught a glimpse of Zayn's face and a flood of unexpected relief rushed through me as I hurried to push the door open, causing him to stumble out of the door's way. 

Not caring about how stupid I might have looked to the people passing by us, I threw my arms out and wrapped them around his shoulders, pressing my cheek against his chest. I could feel his breathing speed up as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders and whispered apologies into my ear over and over again.