☆ Thirty ☆

CONSTANCE BANE

ONE WEEK LATER

It was truly ironic how fate works. One moment you think you have it all, and the next, you're losing it all instead.

The past week has been a series of unfortunate events: I talked with the lawyer, got the will all sorted out, and just as I thought, everything was left for me. Now I had a whopping 600,00 dollars in my bank account. Maybe I'd just donate it all, 'cause at this point, I'd probably have it stolen from me soon anyway. I planned the funeral service...without the actual funeral part of it since she was already six feet underground. And finally, yesterday, I received the loveliest note from my stalker.

It read:

My Constance Darling,

You finally get to say your goodbyes to your late mother who passed away, or shall I say, murdered.
Tell her I'm sending my dearest wishes.

Sincerely,
Your admirer.

I won't lie, I'm getting more irritated than scared with this bullshit.

At one point I thought this person was going to kill me, but now, they're just playing mind games with me. Who snaps first? Who kills who? Do I find you first or will you drive me mad before I get to you?

It's all a game that I can't wait to unveil.

But until then, I have to stay focused. I have to live my life, take care of our cats, spend time with my friends, and deal with this crap as it comes.

Which is why I've gathered everyone at my mother's grave today.

It was like a movie. Everyone was dressed in black as the rain fell down onto the grass-covered ground, making it all muddy. Everyone's black umbrellas were up in the air, and their heads were bowed down.

I might have bribed a pastor to come to her grave and bless her space, 'cause I'm the one person that knew, after my father, that if I didn't have someone bless the soil that she'd be laying in for the rest of eternity, she would make it her goal to return her spirit back to the living and haunt me for the rest of my days. And she'd continued haunting me in the afterlife as well.

It's a pass for me.

We all had our heads bowed down as we listened, Ophelia's hand grasping the inside of my elbow, Harry doing the same from the other side as I held the huge umbrella in between us.

Ezra and Lela were on Harry's side, only recently finding out that Ophelia and Lela were in some kind of fight and weren't talking ever since our sabotaged show.

Micah and Belle were on Ophelia's side, Micah's arm draped over O's shoulders as her head leaned into his shoulder, looking down at the ground.

Two of my mom's friends were standing right with us, wiping their tears away with their white hankies that they carried around with them.

It was difficult lying to them. I had to make up a whole story about how I wasn't in the country so they had no choice but to bury her. The skepticism was evident in their eyes but there was nothing more that I could do.

My whole life was a lie, what was a little more?

The pastor continue reading a prayer from his book, the words going into one ear and out the other as I tried to focus on getting rid of the knot in my chest that was torturing me endlessly.

I felt like I was placed into one of those experimental shows that you hear of once in a while.

As much as this was a good idea, knowing that if I didn't host this, I'd regret it for the rest of my life, I just wanted to be left alone with her.